cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does it mean when someone has editing rights on a shared folder?

Highlighted

What does it mean when someone has editing rights on a shared folder?

Explorer | Level 3

I am entirely new to Dropbox. in regards to sharing files, what is meant by "editing"? What changes is a viewer allowed to make to a file thru "editing"? Is it possible to allow someone to download a file without allowing them to delete it? Thanks for any help.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Editing files

Dropboxer

Hi @NoSystem, thanks for reaching out to us. 

You can find more info about members' permissions in a shared folder, in this article.

Let us know if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your reply. I am still wondering; can someone who does not have editing privileges download a copy of a file for their own use. I am putting together a photographic family history and I want people to be able to download pics but not change or delete them.
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @NoSystem!

With both editing and viewing rights for shared content, they will indeed be able to download the files from the shared folder.

Sharing a folder with view only rights, or using a shared link to the folder will allow then to view and download the files without being able to edit or delete them.

Hope this info helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?