cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if someone steals my Dropbox?

Highlighted

What happens if someone steals my Dropbox?

Explorer | Level 4

when someone has stolen my dropbox copied and sent it to themselves what can i do and are they synced to me live as it were ?

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Re: stolen dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey @janine milne, thanks for reaching out to us. 

If someone copied the Dropbox folder or some of contents from your computer, these files are not associated with your account and do not sync. 

This means that if any changes are made to the originals or the copies, they don't show up on one another. 

However, if this isn't what happened, could you let me know some additional information? For example, are you referring to someone copying a shared folder or gaining access to your Dropbox account? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The question was posed by a friend of mine.  She tried to answer this online but was prevented by the program.  She is very upset that the hacker might still have access to her accounts.  She tried to contact support for hours with no reply and is overseas at this moment.  Is there a phone number she could call or email address to talk with someone?  She actually saw her account being hijacked and has photos of her files going grey as they were transferred from her own computer to the hackers.  She can explain what happened much better than I can.. I'm just trying to find a way she can access your support/help.  Thank you.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information, @kdressl

In that case, I'd recommend contacting our Support team from this link, from an incognito window, without signing in to their account. 

Once they do so, they can let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) associated so that I can pass their comments along. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers! 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you .  I will tell her immediately.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

clicking on that link you sent i got the same blank white page i got before.  there is nothing there ...! ??

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

thank you for you in-put

he had my computer and used it to copy everything ... he used my e-mail address and sent himself everything inlcuding my entire dropbox account.  not just a folder but the entire account.  my entire contact address book and my entire list of passwords which were in my address book.

1.  if i open dropbox which i do most days, will he see any additions i make or movements?.

2.  can he delete anything from the full dropbox copy he has which will then affect mine? 

3.  is there any way to stop him even opening the copy he has?

4.  i have in the account something which gives an option ... in a white box it says ''unlink this account''.  what/who is it linked to ?

5.  should i leave it or unlink this?

6. what is a shared folder in this instance ... shared with whom?

7.  in notifications there is a blue sync circle on the top.  who or what am i syncing to or with.  just my computer or another one elsewhere which i have no control over ..?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for your updates @janine milne.

It sounds like you're having trouble accessing that link through the website, can you try using another browser or incognito window to open the link Lusil sent you?

From the questions that you're asking here, it sounds like you're using the desktop app.

The unlink option that you're seeing is to unlink your Dropbox account from the desktop app. The app is linked to your account online so that it can sync your files.

If you want to keep your local files in sync with your account online, you'll need to leave it unlinked.

The blue syncing icon that you mentioned suggests that the desktop app is currently trying to sync your Dropbox files with your account online. This is the only connection the desktop app can make.

What I can suggest is to check your security page online and check for any suspicious browser sessions or devices that you don't know, and remove them from there.

Out of curiosity, can you send me a screenshot of what you mentioned earlier regarding the files becoming greyed out? Are they showing a grey cloud icon next to them perhaps?

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@janine milne  was traveling for the past two days.  And these days that is very difficult.  She is now home and I will also make certain she gets your message.  Thank you for your help.  She has been a victim of Identity theft ..  not just her dropbox acct.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

thank you kerry ... shall look now

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?