cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my files if I discontinue Dropbox

What happens to my files when I cancel my subscription?

alessio b.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, what will happen to my Files if I cancel my subscription? I have dropbox plus and the number of GB I keep there is more than the limit of the non-paying versions.
There are also many important files which are not on my PC anymore and I should download them.
Once I've done it, will I have a certain time to download everything?
Or will all the files remain available for downloading?

58 Replies 58

Sbathla
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Does subscription cancellation means I will have to download all material I have uploaded on Dropbox? Or does it mean that I can keep my account with the files already uploaded?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Cancellation only prevents your subscription from auto-renewing at the end of your current billing cylcle. Until that time, you will retain all account benefits. Once your subscription has run out, your files will not be deleted, but you won't be able to modify or add new content if you're over your storage quota.

If you delete your account, all data within it is also deleted.

Zs70
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If you dont pay for a subscription you have about 6 GB free with dropbox. Well at least I do. But if for instance, you were paying for the monthly or yearly subscription of personal plus, which is 2TB but then later on decided to cancel it. What would happen to all the files if you have now stored and saved more than the pre subscription quota of 6GB. Does it 

a) Just remain as it is with the inability to store any more pictures and files, or 

B) Does it delete those extra files and pictures that are not able to fit in the free 6GB quota that you had before

Hope this q makes sense

Thanks in advance 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Zs70; welcome aboard!

Your query seems to echo this discussion here so I moved your post under this thread so you can have a look around at your convenience. 

Let us know if you have any additional questions! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

csteclaire
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
The information provided here is very helpful!! I love Dropbox and am so glad to have it!

garyvh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

First off I was checking on pricing and sizes of drop boxes. I was curious about if you cancel your account what happens to everything that is stored in the cloud. What are the assurances that everything will be securely erased when you cancel? Then upon looking around I noticed that there isn't anyway to contact DropBox itself. There is a chat bot and the community. Why would I want to hire a company that I cannot get in touch with? Looking for answers. Thank you.

Gary

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If you are a paying user you (rightly) can contact support for assistance. Free users, however, do not have that option.

Stopping payments does not stop/remove files and folders. However, cancelling and closing the account DOES - note that its permanent and so if you do so you cannot restore lost files later.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

driemer5981
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I no longer want to use Dropbox.  How do I make sure that none of my folders/files are deleted from my PC when I discontinue?

If I understand how Dropbox works currently everything is on the Cloud for backup but will I lose my folders/files from my hard drive or will they still be accessible to me.  My husband is extremely upset that certain files transferred to Dropbox and didn't stay private.

Help!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @driemer5981, thank you for posting your question here.  

Provided that your account is ever downgraded, Dropbox will not delete any of your files.

If you're over your storage quota when your subscription expires, you simply won't be able to sync your files but they'll remain accessible through the Dropbox website. 

Don't hesitate to get back to us if anything comes up.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Samun
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

what means I can't change my files. Does it mean that I can't download them, or I just can't make a copy and make a shered link to them and etc?

Need more support?