cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my files if I downgrade?

What happens to my files if I downgrade?

delee
New member | Level 2

I would like to ask....

If i downgrade the payment system,  the files that I have had by upgrading are remained ?

Is there no problem at all to download and see the files like before ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Downgrade

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @delee, thanks for posting your concern on the Forum, & welcome aboard! :sailboat:

Please note that upon downgrade, no files will be deleted from your Dropbox account & you’ll be able to download your files. 

Do keep in mind though that if the total amount of files exceeds the storage limit, then syncing will stop. This means that you won’t be able to add new files, restore deleted files or apply changes that will sync across all devices until you go below your space limit. 

I hope this helps! Feel free to get back to me here if you have any further questions. In the mean time, have a great day ahead! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @delee, thanks for posting your concern on the Forum, & welcome aboard! :sailboat:

Please note that upon downgrade, no files will be deleted from your Dropbox account & you’ll be able to download your files. 

Do keep in mind though that if the total amount of files exceeds the storage limit, then syncing will stop. This means that you won’t be able to add new files, restore deleted files or apply changes that will sync across all devices until you go below your space limit. 

I hope this helps! Feel free to get back to me here if you have any further questions. In the mean time, have a great day ahead! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

l

bdking9090
Explorer | Level 3

s

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there, @bdking9090

Dropbox doesn’t delete your files even if you are over the storage limit. Just like prior to you exceeding your storage, you can still download and preview your files, although you won’t be able to edit and sync them. 

You can find more relevant info about this here. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

b

bdking9090
Explorer | Level 3

b

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey again, @bdking9090

If there's no activity on your Dropbox account for an extended period of time, Dropbox will notify you or the account owner in an email. To keep an account active, sign in and we'll know you want to keep it. Or, if you no longer want your account, you can close it.

Spoiler
Dropbox determines inactive accounts by looking at sign-ins, file shares, and file activity (adding, editing, or deleting) on any of our platforms (Dropbox or Paper) over the last 12 months. If you have signed in on one of our platforms, or had any file activity on them at any point within the previous 12 months, then your account is considered active.
When your account is closed, any remaining files in your account will be subject to deletion, and you will no longer be able to sign into the account on the website or any of the devices on which you have installed the Dropbox app. 

I hope this helped! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

b

bdking9090
Explorer | Level 3

b

Lusil
Dropboxer

No worries, @bdking9090, we are here to assist after all. :innocent:

Dropbox doesn't delete your files when you've got an active account. You can keep your account active by:

• Signing in to the Dropbox app on your computer, the Dropbox mobile app, or dropbox.com
  • Using any Dropbox app on your account
  • Viewing, adding, editing, or removing files or folders
  • Sharing files and folders

If, by any chance, you no longer want your Dropbox Basic (free) account, you can simply leave it alone, if you don't want to close it at that point in time. Your account will be automatically deactivated and your files deleted 90 days after you reach 12 months of inactivity.

Hope this helped clarify matters a bit more. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Ellenk
New member | Level 2
Because I bought a NAS to back-up my files, I wish to downgrade my Dropbox account.
I wish to keep uploading files to “Paper”. Is that possible?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @Ellenk, thanks for joining us on this thread.

If you want to cancel your subscription but continue using it to collaborate on Paper docs, you can definitely do so.

Are you on a personal/individual subscription or part of a team?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?