cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my files when I cancel my subscription?

What happens to my files when I cancel my subscription?

alessio b.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, what will happen to my Files if I cancel my subscription? I have dropbox plus and the number of GB I keep there is more than the limit of the non-paying versions.
There are also many important files which are not on my PC anymore and I should download them.
Once I've done it, will I have a certain time to download everything?
Or will all the files remain available for downloading?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Nothing happens to your files when your subscription expires. At most, if you're over your storage quota when your subscription expires you simply won't be able to sync your files, but they'll remain accessible through the Dropbox website. Your files are not deleted or removed from the account.

If you're no longer seeing your files, something else is the cause.

View solution in original post

58 Replies 58

Kit813
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I used to pay the fee monthly through my credit card, but as my credit card epired and I forgot to change my payment details, so now, my subscription expired and I cannot see any files in my account........if my files appeard again if I renew my subscription? 

Hope someone can help me, thanks.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Nothing happens to your files when your subscription expires. At most, if you're over your storage quota when your subscription expires you simply won't be able to sync your files, but they'll remain accessible through the Dropbox website. Your files are not deleted or removed from the account.

If you're no longer seeing your files, something else is the cause.

Kit813
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, thanks for your reply, so how cna I check what's the problem with my files? And I also cannot login the dropbox app on my phone too.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kit813 wrote:

And I also cannot login the dropbox app on my phone too.

Does your account still exist? Could it be that it was deleted? Are you able to sign into the account on the Dropbox website?

If your account was deleted for some reason, your files woul dbe deleted as well, with no chance of recovery. Note that account deletion doesn't happen automatically unless the account was inactive for more than one year.

... so how cna I check what's the problem with my files?

Have you checked your Events page to see if it shows anything?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for reaching out to us here @alessio b.5!

When you cancel your subscription, your files will stay safe within your account online.

If you're over your space limit and use the desktop app, your files won't be able to sync and no edits to your files will be able to be saved to your account.

However, you will still have full access to your files and you'll be able to download them directly from the website.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

alessio b.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
So I can keep all the files without paying anything? Even if they're over space of unpaying version?
"Will not sync": What does that mean in concrete terms?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That's right @alessio b.5, your files won't be deleted from your account.

In terms of syncing, the desktop app won't be able to sync your files when you're over your space limit.

This means that if you make any edits to the local copies on your computer's Dropbox folder, they won't be saved to your account online.

You'll only be able to view and download your files from online unless you remove enough data to put you back under the space limit.

Keep me posted with any other questions you have about this!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Linou_Petit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

If I cancel my DB plus subscription, will it revert to the original storage I had gained before I upgraded?  Or the default storage for a free account? 

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Linou_Petit. Welcome to our Community. :grin:

I merged your topic in this discussion, where you will find all the information you need about what happens after you downgrade. 

Specifically for the free space you might have earned, referrals count for 500MB each on a Basic account. While on a Dropbox Plus account they count as 1GB each. 

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    alley5 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    sara_777 New member | Level 2
    Theoneandonlyron New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?