cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between Team Folder and Shared Workspace?

What is the difference between Team Folder and Shared Workspace?

Lorraine7
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm using the standard work dropbox.  I need to share a subfolder with external user B from within a shared folder shared with external user A.  The shared folder currently sits outside of the Team Folder and Shared Workspace.  When I try to share the subfolder it says I can only share a Link. 

Q1.  If I move the shared folder into Team Folder or Shared Workspace will I be able to share the subfolder itself, not as a link? 

Q2.  What is the difference between Team Folder and Shared Workspace?  Which one should I use so that I can control who sees what?  I only want people to see folders that I share with them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Lorraine7, sorry to just jump back in here!

Indeed, the Dropbox Business account allows you to share nested folders more freely, so you'd be able to achieve what you want, without creating copies of the (sub)folders.

With Dropbox Business, you can create a team of a minimum of 3 people, who you can share folders with, but of course, you can still share folders with people outside your organization, without inviting them to your Dropbox Business team.

You can read more about Dropbox Business features and prices here.

If you have more questions, let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Lorraine7, thanks for posting about this!

The Team shared workspace is the sharing environment for our newer Dropbox Business plans, the place where all team members can access team folders and files. 

With a Dropbox Business account, you can manage who can access your team folders, but when it comes to shared folders, things are a bit different. 

To share a folder that is inside an already shared folder, you will need to unshare the parent folder. Otherwise, you can simply create a copy of the subfolder, outside the shared folder and you won't have any sharing issues. 

Let me know if you come across any issues!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Lorraine7
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks but what is the difference between Team Folder and Shared Workspace?

So I don't have a business account, but I had the 30 day trial and I now have a Team Folder and a Shared Workspace which I don't think I had before, dunno.  Anyway I didn't pay for a business account because I don't need all that space.  What I do need is to be able to share folders with some people and I need to share subfolders with other people outside of my organisation.

Currently the shared folder sits outside Team Folder and Shared Workspace.  I can only share a subfolder as a link.  BUT if I move the shared folder into either of those (Team Folder and Shared Workspace), will I be able to share a subfolders with different people outside of my organisation?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Lorraine7, sorry to jump in here! 

There's unfortunately no way to share a folder that already contains a shared folder.

If you don't have a Dropbox Business account (which allows you to share more freely), and you want to share sub-folders that are inside other already shared folders, you'll need to unshare the parent folders first, as @Hannah mentioned. 

Another thing you can do is make a copy of the sub-folders somewhere else in the account, as you can't have a shared folder within a shared folder. 

I hope that makes sense, but if you have more questions, feel free to reach back out!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Lorraine7
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you.  When you say a Dropbox Business account (which allows you to share more freely), are you saying I would be able to achieve what I want to achieve if I had a Business account and would I have to pay for people outside of my organisation to have a Business account, or could it just be me as the administrator sharing subfolders with external people.  I see the business account says 3 users, so is that the minimum number - I'd be paying minimum £30 per month to share only 5-10 files with people in outside of my organisation (hence no need for the space)?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Lorraine7, sorry to just jump back in here!

Indeed, the Dropbox Business account allows you to share nested folders more freely, so you'd be able to achieve what you want, without creating copies of the (sub)folders.

With Dropbox Business, you can create a team of a minimum of 3 people, who you can share folders with, but of course, you can still share folders with people outside your organization, without inviting them to your Dropbox Business team.

You can read more about Dropbox Business features and prices here.

If you have more questions, let me know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Lorraine7 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?