cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When Camera Uploads folder isn't synced, Import dialog appears everytime I connect my phone

When Camera Uploads folder isn't synced, Import dialog appears everytime I connect my phone

chrismessina
Helpful | Level 6

I setup a new MacBook Pro and decided to selectively sync folders on my Mac. I chose NOT to sync Camera Uploads because I really don't need 80GB of old digital photos crowding my harddrive. That said, I do still want to use Camera Uploads to backup my photos to Dropbox. Thus, everytime I plug in my iPhone via USB, this alert appears:

I click "Start Import", but nothing happens. 

I presume this is because either I must sync my entire Camera Uploads folder in order to enable this feature.

A better behavior would for Dropbox to tell me this — i.e. "You've chosen to not sync your Camera Uploads folder. In order to import and backup your photos (and videos) you must sync this folder. [Enable] [Cancel]"

Another alternative would be to create a new Camera Uploads folder and rename the old one.

But, I feel stuck in limbo since I don't want all those photos on my harddrive, but I do want them backed up to Dropbox, and I want to keep backing up my new photos.

5 Replies 5

Re: When Camera Uploads folder isn't synced, Import dialog appears everytime I connect my phone

Jonathan O.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Chris,

I can certainly appreciate your frustration with this issue, and I will pass along you feedback to our development team.

A possible workaround would be to select "Never for this device" and upload your photos to Dropbox manually. Alternatively, you may move the photos in your Camera Uploads folder to a different (unsynced) folder via the Dropbox website and then sync the Camera Uploads folder to your computer and choose "Start import".

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Andreas

chrismessina
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Andreas. That's probably what I'll do... though unsure how that'll affect Carousel.

All that said, I installed v3.9.35 and there's now a notification about this! Sweet!

></p>

chrismessina
Helpful | Level 6

Argh! When I try to rename it, I get this error!

>This is exactly <em>not</em> what I want to do (i.e. sync 85GB of photos). Please advise!</p>

Jonathan O.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Chris,

Completely understandable!

Unfortunately, the web client cannot handle folders with too many files. A workaround for this would be to move the files in batches or create subfolders within Camera Uploads that you can move separately to reduce the number of files per folder.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this, but I hope that this helps.

Best regards,

Andreas

chrismessina
Helpful | Level 6

[profanity removed as per Community Guidelines], okay, got it!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?