cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I delete a desktop file, it also is removed from Dropbox

When I delete a desktop file, it also is removed from Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

I have a new job and we use Dropbox desktop app on my personal MacBook Pro. I was to take screenshots and upload them to a file in Dropbox. I did so and when I deleted the screenshots from my desktop, the files also were deleted from Dropbox. What happened?

Also, I worked on a file in Dropbox to delete a column in an Excel spreadsheet and it removed the file from Dropbox. I must be missing something. Please help.

3 Replies 3

Re: When I delete a desktop file, it also is removed from Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @noraleet1, thanks for messaging today!

I'm sorry to hear about this. When you deleted the screenshots, were they located in the Dropbox folder at that time? If so, they would also be deleted from your Dropbox account, since the deletions would sync to the site.

Regarding the Excel file, deleting a column wouldn't delete the entire file. Were you editing the file on the Dropbox site, or via the Excel app on your computer?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I just realized that when I deleted the files, they were in my Recent folder, not my Desktop. For some reason, that makes them delete. So, I am just going to stop using my Recent folder. Crazy and doesn't make sense but it works! Thanks for your help.

Dropboxer

Is this the Recent folder on the Mac? If so, I think that finds any recently accessed files, which could include files in the Dropbox folder, hence deleting them would delete the files from the site.

Let me know if you need any further assistance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?