cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I share a file the preview is cut off after 15 minutes. Why is that?

When I share a file the preview is cut off after 15 minutes. Why is that?

gcsheph
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I shared a 17 minute (1.11 GB) .mp4 file. It was reported to me  that the video stops  after 15 minutes with the note that it must be downloaded by the recipient to see the whole thing.  Does the recipient have to do this  to view the entire file.  I also plan at some point to put up a larger (47 minute) file so the problem may be worse?  Please advise how best to proceed. Thank you..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If the owner of the file is on a Basic plan, then the first 30 minutes can be previewed. Plus, Professional and Family plans are 60 minutes, and Business plans allow for 4 hours. Files can still be downloaded and viewed normally on their machine.

If your video is less than 30 minutes long, then you can share it and everyone can view it without reaching the 30 minute cutoff.

Bear in mind that previewing and download via a shared link does contribute to the daily bandwidth limit.

Let me know if you need more info!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @gcsheph, thanks for joining the Community!

When you create a shared link to a video or audio, depending on your current plan, only a certain amount can be previewed on the site.

Downloading the file would be the only way to view the entire file for those users, unless you upgrade to a plan that allows more of the video to be shown.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

gcsheph
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

thank you for this information. You mentioned paid plans that allow you to  preview "more of a file". Do any of the plans allow preview of all of the file regardless of size?

gcsheph
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

question about one more thing I just noticed:  I now see  that there is a message when I share a .mp4 file  that comes up "this type of file can only be shared in view mode"  But apparently the recipient cannot view the entire file in preview. What do I have to do  so that the recipient can download the file so it can be viewed in its entirety? Are we back to a paid account?

gcsheph
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Apologies (I'm still very new to dropbox)- I just shared  a 1.1 GB .mp4 file to my wife on her laptop and was able to download it in its entirety. I guess I  misunderstood the message that was on the sender side.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If the owner of the file is on a Basic plan, then the first 30 minutes can be previewed. Plus, Professional and Family plans are 60 minutes, and Business plans allow for 4 hours. Files can still be downloaded and viewed normally on their machine.

If your video is less than 30 minutes long, then you can share it and everyone can view it without reaching the 30 minute cutoff.

Bear in mind that previewing and download via a shared link does contribute to the daily bandwidth limit.

Let me know if you need more info!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

John57
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was sent a link to a mp4 recording of a 30 minute WebEx meeting. The file that popped up on my browser was cut off after about 15 minutes. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a file size limit involved?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @John57, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I've just moved your post here as you have a similar question to the OP. When you have the chance, please take a look at Jay's post above for more info on this.

To view the file fully, you'll need to download the file and play it locally on your device.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MKelly1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

When i share a link to a video people can only view the first 15 minuites of the video even though i can see the whole video on Dropbox. I think the video took my account to capacity could this be the reason? 

Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MKelly1 wrote:

When i share a link to a video people can only view the first 15 minuites of the video even though i can see the whole video on Dropbox.

That is the expected behavior. In order to see the entire video, they'll need to download and play it on their computer. Refer to the following help article for more information:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TJ70 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Coma666 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?