Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

When I try to restore the folder I receive 'Opps an error occurred please try later'

Explorer | Level 4

I have a dropbox plus account

I am positive i have not deleted a file as it is very important!!

I have tried to restore the folder and rewind back to before the 11th Feb with no success

The file deletion is not shown in the rewind list

The events log says I removed access to this shared folder (as far as i was aware this was not a shared with any one else)

When I try to restore the folder I receive 'Opps an error occurred please try later'

The folder is not shown in the deleted files list

This is what i see on the screen

Capture.JPG

Any help or direction would be great received 

Thanks 

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: When I try to restore the folder I receive 'Opps an error occurred please try later'

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I’ve amended the image as per Community Guidelines for your own privacy.

There really isn’t anything else I can say here, unfortunately.

While I understand your frustration, you have mentioned it yourself that in the events page you were 'removed from that shared folder', which can only mean it is a shared folder. There isn't another possibility for this specific message.

Since you no longer have a copy of this folder on your computer, this means you weren’t the owner of the folder, since it would return to a private folder. Likewise, we wouldn’t be able to recover your files since you’re not the owner of the folder.

Due to this, someone at some point in the past invited you to join that shared folder. The only way to see who this was would be to search through your old emails from Dropbox to see if you can find that folder name somewhere, with the words ‘invited you to edit the folder’.

I’m sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Missing Folder any advice please

Explorer | Level 4

Why does my folder look like this

DB 1 folder.JPG

I cant restore it!!  What does the trash can mean

I have used the rewind function and that didnt work

The event log states 

You removed your access to the shared folder PMS ltd Folder
11/2/2020 11:57

How can this be reversed

Any advice would be great

Thanks   

Highlighted

Re: Missing Folder any advice please

Super User II
Super User II

Your access to the folder was removed, either by you or the owner of the folder. If you aren't the owner, you're unable to recover it once access has been removed. You'll need to contact the owner of the folder and ask them to share it with you again.

Note that regardless of whether you removed your own access to the folder or the owner did, the message will always say that you removed the access.

Highlighted

Re: Missing Folder any advice please

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply

I am the owner, it was not shared with anyone.

How do I gain access again, I normaly use the desktop app.

Your assitance is appreciated 

Steve

Highlighted

Re: When I try to restore the folder I receive 'Opps an error occurred please try later'

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @PMservices, thanks for posting today!

As you mentioned you had an event stating your access was removed from the shared folder, it means it was indeed a shared folder.

As this is the case, you wouldn’t be able to regain access to the folder using Dropbox Rewind, or from the deleted files page. Only the owner of the shared folder would be able to invite you to the folder directly.

I hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay

Thanks for your reply.

The folder was owned by me and not shared with anyone else

This is the messge on the events log

You removed your access to the shared folder PMS ltd Folder
11/2/2020 11:57

The files in questions  holds all my company's financial details, its not something I would want to share.

It is possible to re-instate access to my folder ?? 

Thanks  in advance 

Steve

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay

I have a couple more questions 

If I made changes to the missing folder should this show up on the folder history log and if I deletd the folder should that be listed in the delted file log??

Thanks again

Steve

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, as the message stated, it was definitely a shared folder, and from the sounds of it, you weren’t the owner as the folder didn’t return to your account as a private folder.

This means that another Dropbox user might have a copy of the folder that you were a member of.

Could you check your email history to see if there was an invite from someone to join that folder? If so, you should be able to see their name and email, so you can contact them for further assistance to be re-invited to that folder.

Jay

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry, just saw your later message after posting my reply. As you were removed from the shared folder, it wouldn’t show up in folder history, nor would any files appear in the deleted files page.

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay

Thanks for your assistance 

About 2 years ago I copied all my files onto dropbox from my hard drive and this folder was one of them, I started to use drop box to manage my files. 

I so I am postive this folder was not created by anyone else. Below is a screen shot of the other files that were copied from my hard drive and stored on DB.

Is there a way to see what account or user created the other folders i can still accessDB. 

What has happened does not make sense to me.  

Thanks gain for your help

file list .jpg

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?