cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When forcing a PDF to preview in a browser, it only shows the first page

When forcing a PDF to preview in a browser, it only shows the first page

joelandamber
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi!
I'm running into an issue when previewing a pdf file in dropbox only shows the first page of the file (picture below for reference).

I use the "raw=1" extension at the end of the file, and so far that's worked well.  Now out of the blue, it seems to only display the first page of the file.

Is there any way of fixing this, or possibly use a different file extension to use to preview the file?  We send this file out to many potential clients so it needs to work easily on mobile and desktop browsers. I'd use "dl=1" except that really doesn't work at all on phones.

Thanks!
Joel

Preview file.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

joelandamber
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ok, seems I've finally solved this.  For some reason, any time I tried to compress (use a 3rd party compressor) or checked the "Optimise for Fast Web View" in InDesign, it wouldn't load properly.  I managed to keep the file sizes under 15mb, (most were in the 1-2mb range) without compression and now they all load properly.  So it seems there's something with compressing or optimizing for web view that Chrome didn't like, but at least they all work now!

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @joelandamber, thanks for joining the Community!

We’re not experiencing this issue here when testing with a multipage PDF.

Could you try switching browsers to see if this helps? Otherwise, use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

joelandamber
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay, thanks for the quick reply!
It does seem to work in IE, but even after clearing the cache and trying incognito mode in Chrome, I still had the same issue.  I tried a bunch of different files (we have a lot), and had the same problem with all of them.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Most likely there is an issue loading the rest of the pages in Chrome, as it worked fine in another browser.

In your original image the other pages are shown as the dot shadows, which would indicate this.

Try disabling the extensions and plugins in Chrome to see if any of them are affecting the page loading.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

joelandamber
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ok, that was it!!  I turned off the Google Docs Offline extension and it loaded.  Turned it on and it didn't load, turned it off and it did load.  So there seems to be something amiss with that extension I guess.  Either way it looks like this is solved, thank you!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear that you found the extension which caused this issue, @joelandamber!

Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

joelandamber
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi again... I'm back.  And I'm having the same issue again!  I disabled all the extensions (and even removed the Google Drive Offline extension that I thought was the issue), and the pdf files still aren't loading.  So all extensions are off, cleared the cache, tried incognito mode, and still nothing but those gray dots below the first page.  Still works in IE though.

Any other ideas?

Edit: when I do clear the cache and try it again, for a split second the scroll bar on the right is very short, making it look as though it's loaded the whole document (it's a long doc), but then snaps to a longer scroll bar since only 1 page ends up displaying.  So it's almost as though the whole document loads, but then it only displays the one page.

HugoHugoHugo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I experienced the same issue (but with another website). After investigation, it appears that this has something to do with SameSite cookies. 

You can fix it by setting this flag to Disabled then restart Chrome: 

chrome://flags/#same-site-by-default-cookies

Update: Found an issue in the Chromium bug tracker related to this problem: 

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=961617

joelandamber
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the insight, but unfortunately that workaround didn't help, it still only loaded the first page.

This apparently does affect other users, so whenever I send out these .pdf documents to clients, they also don't load for them.  

@Jay  any other thoughts or ideas?  Really need to get this solved soon!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @joelandamber; sorry to hear you're still having issues with this and I'll be glad to have a further look into this for you.

To do so, can you clarify if you're running into this issue with all of your shared links, some or just one? 

Also, what browsers are your collaborators using when bumping into this issue with your PDF files not rendering properly as a whole? 

By the way, does this occur for all of your PDF files or a specific one? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kandrew1 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    joelandamber Helpful | Level 6
    anase New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?