cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

When is deleting local files safe?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm in the process of moving a lot of files to my Dropbox and using the SmartSync option to store my files offline only on the Dropbox server in order to free up local hard drive space. 

My question comes regarding file management. With the amount of size/files I'm moving (10's of gigabites at a time) I can see in my local Mac Finder Window that the files I'm relocating are indeed in the Dropbox file structure where I'm relocating them. Once there, I'll select the main folder and SmartSync to make the files offline only. 

However, once I enter the main folder where I've selected offline only, my finder window will still have the blue icons indicating the files are still syncing. This matches with my Dropbox menu drop down on my mac which shows the files are still syncing. I can also confirm this when going to a web browser of my Dropbox folder as I can see the folder I created to store my files but not any of the files that my Finder window is showing as transferred (but still syncing). 

My question is really, do I need to wait to delete my local files once dragged and dropped in Finder or will they still sync now if I delete them from the original location on my hard drive? 

Thanks in advance! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: When is deleting local files safe?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @swookiemonster; welcome aboard!

Please don't take any actions on the original files before you're completely synced! 

To verify this, take a look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and see if it is done syncing as it will report that it's “Up to date” when fully synced.

If needed, you can speed this process up by adjusting your bandwidth settings according to your needs via the desktop app's preferences

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @swookiemonster; welcome aboard!

Please don't take any actions on the original files before you're completely synced! 

To verify this, take a look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and see if it is done syncing as it will report that it's “Up to date” when fully synced.

If needed, you can speed this process up by adjusting your bandwidth settings according to your needs via the desktop app's preferences

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter, 

Thanks for the quick turnaround on an answer here. It turns out my upload speed was set to Limit automatically which I assume is by default? Hopefully the switch to Don't limit will speed up the sync which seems to be taking quite a while. This could be the real game changer here that would speed up being able to delete the local files once synced. 

Thank you! 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?