cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When opening Excel files, I get an error that the file is damaged, but only in Dropbox. Any help?

When opening Excel files, I get an error that the file is damaged, but only in Dropbox. Any help?

Explorer | Level 3

Recently I open my excel files on my computer either my phone and as it stars to open, immediately appears a message that it can´t be open and the files figures as damage.  Just in dropbox envairoment happens.  As is my main app  for my excel files and just in excel happens, how can i solve this problem. I proved uninstall a doesn't work. 

How can you help me. 

My mail is [email removed as per Community Guidelines]

5 Replies 5

Re: When opening Excel files, I get an error that the file is damaged, but only in Dropbox. Any h...

Dropboxer

Hi @Juanchofam, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Just to make sure I understand the issue 100%, can you please send me a screenshot of the error that you're getting?

What actions do you take when you receive this error?

Also, you mentioned that this happens only in Dropbox. Can you let me know some more info on how you would open the file without receiving the same error?

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: When opening Excel files, I get an error that the file is damaged, but only in Dropbox. Any h...

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your answer:

This is the image that appears when  I click on excel file.  Only un Dropbox.  Afortunately i save in some other clouds but for many years i´ve saved my files in your cloud as the main an only.  Recently y had the same dismiss files in other types of applications. Please, help me for the solution.

Best regards.

Pta: On-screen says: Can´t obtain preview file. try in another computer or with another application.   

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-16 at 07.33.10.jpeg

Dropboxer

Thanks for that screenshot @Juanchofam!

So I can have a better idea of your current setup, can you let me know the following?

• The OS version of your device.
  • The version of the Dropbox app installed.
  • Does this occur for only specific files, or all Excel files?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your answer:

The versión of my dropbox 112.4.321

My Cell is Samsung Note 10, last Android Version

I only found this problem in excel files and it's most of the time.  That´s why I made some other paths in other clouds to avoid this problem. I hope this problem will be solved, otherwise, I don´t know what to do.

Dropboxer

From the app version you mentioned, it looks like the latest stable desktop app version, is that right?

The latest mobile app version is currently 218.2.2. Could you double check this for me?

Can you let me know around what size the file is that you're trying to preview? Is it over 40 MB by per chance?

Also, please try the steps below to clear the app cache to see if that helps at all:

1. Open the Dropbox app.
  2. Tap the menu icon in the top left corner.
  3. Choose "Settings".
  4. Towards the bottom, tap "Clear cache".

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?