cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When previewing audio files on Dropbox, the playback skips or drops out. Any ideas?

When previewing audio files on Dropbox, the playback skips or drops out. Any ideas?

Tinlinmusic
Helpful | Level 6

Hello, just wondered if any other music tech-y people have had any trouble with glitchy audio files when using Dropbox to share them?
A track that I have mixed and bounced down on my studio pc, which plays fine with no problems, once shared On DB if you listen to the track on a different device it is full of digital glitches and audio dropouts.
Any ideas?

66 Replies 66

SECRETSOUND
Helpful | Level 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thank you very much for those ticket numbers!

Could you let me know which file types you're having this issue with? I noticed some mentions of MP3 and WAV files. 

Just to clarify, you mentioned this occurred both on the website and through the mobile app, correct? 

If you're using the website, please let me know the following:

• What browser and version are you using?
  • Do you have the same behaviour with another web browser and incognito window?
  • If you change the shared link for one of these files to force render, do you get the same behaviour?

If you're using the mobile app, please let me know:

• Which OS version is your device?
  • What version of the app do you have installed?

This info will be very helpful for investigating this further. I understand that you're sending these files to your clients too where they will be using a variety of the above, but some examples of what you're using would great.

Also, not everyone has been able to create a support ticket. If you've already provided this info in your tickets then there's no need to repeat it again for me here if you don't have the time.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tinlinmusic
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

In my experience I first noticed the problem around 3 weeks ago on mp3 files which played fine on the computer used to create them, but as soon as the file was copied to the Dropbox folder there seemed to be random instances of distortion, then full on audio dropouts for a few milliseconds (but enough to be noticeable). I rarely use the 'website' version of Dropbox as all the devices I use have Dropbox installed as an app (on my iPhone and Ipad), and as a local folder on my laptop and studio pc.

Each time I tried re-exporting the same file(s) the same problem would occur, although at different points on the file.

I found that the 'make available offline' option on my iPhone seemed to sort the problem out. But as it has already been mentioned on this thread, it doesn't fill one with confidence when sharing these files with clients, or other people who might be using a different device and may not be able/want to download the file, as I have done.

I hope that you or one of your colleagues can shed some light on this problem,

Many thanks!

bassdude007
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I'm having these same dropout glitches on MP3's that I upload to dropbox. I haven't tested wav files. Hopefully this can be solved very soon because I mix for a living and I can't have these issues. The mp3's play perfecty but not the ones uploaded to dropbox... the glitches happen at exactly the same times so it's not related to an internet connection. Thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info peeps!

Have you submitted a ticket with our team for this issue @Tinlinmusic and @bassdude007? If not, would you mind letting me know some additional info that I mentioned here?

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bassdude007
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne, thanks for getting back so quickly. I've been waiting on a chat because I wanted to start a support ticket but it's been 30 minutes, probaby because others are having the same problem, so I'm going to respond here instead. I have only had the problem with mp3's probably for about a week now. I haven't tried wav files or heard from anyone having a problem with any wav files I have delivered but that may be because I send zip files within one folder for most of my work etc. I have experimented: when an mp3 that I upload is played thru the dropbox browser, I find dropouts and glitches, like a quick sort of skip. That goes the same with all connected devices, iphones, other computers, friends computers. The issues are in the same exact place in time on the mp3. *If I drag the file to my desktop and play it there, no issues at all. I couldn't check the force render question because I already deleted these files. I would experiment but I'm in the middle of a project right now. Thanks for helping us out Daphne! take care, ric

Specs: I'm using Chrome Version 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit),

MAC OS: 10.12.6 and also 10.13.6

SECRETSOUND
Helpful | Level 5

It does it with .wav files too.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the details peeps!

You mentioned trying to chat with our Support team @bassdude007, did you get a ticket number (eg. #1234567)?

If so, would you mind sharing it with me here so that I can follow up with you there with all the info you've provided here already?

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

dabu2012
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem.

File is a 6 Minute long song

16bit/44.1k .wav file

Using website dropbox

Safari 13.1

Mac OS 10.14.6

Audio file has dropout when playing back from Dropbox website and IOS App. IOS and dropbox app are up to date. Obvioulsy my computer is not up to date... cause you know if it aint broke with audio, don't touch anything!

My clients were listening to the file from IOS as well. We all heard the audio drop out in the exact same spot.

Download song and it plays fine. So for me it seems like a playback problem from Dropbox servers. 

dabu2012
New member | Level 2

Ticket# 10714597

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    ezimore New member | Level 2
    Barbylucedistelle New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?