cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When re-installing dropbox it changed my files on my computer and now I cannot find them

When re-installing dropbox it changed my files on my computer and now I cannot find them

Gemjade
Explorer | Level 3

My dropbox was not syncing and getting an error message when I tried to start it up. So I uninstalled it and then reinstalled. My computer is now a mess. It has synced up my original dropbox files that in my online account but it changed other folders on my computer. Mainly in "my documents" were all my work folders and files and now I am missing most of these apart from two folders. I have searched my entire computer and cannot find my files anywhere. I have also tried to do a system restore of my computer to a previous date and this hasnt worked either. I dont know what is up with this new dropbox but its terrible. I desperately need these files. Can anyone help?

PS when it asked me if I wanted to backup my computer I chose no. 

3 Replies 3

Re: When re-installing dropbox it changed my files on my computer and now I cannot find them

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @Gemjade, I'd be happy to help look into this with you. 

Could you first make sure that computer backup isn't enabled by having a look at your desktop app's Backup tab?

If it's not set up, check your events page and deleted files tab for any recent record of the files you're missing. 

Give me a nudge with any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: When re-installing dropbox it changed my files on my computer and now I cannot find them

Gemjade
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil

I have gone through my events and deleted files and no they arent there. Dropbox only uploaded 2 folders which were in my main documents folder out of about 14....everything else has disappeared...

Lusil
Dropboxer
Is there any chance you're signed in on a different account on the desktop app other than the one you're logged into on website?

You can cross-check that by going to your desktop app's Account tab (via your Preferences) and then have a look at your General tab online.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?