cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

When trying to retrieve deleted files, I keep getting an error message. What can I do?

Explorer | Level 4

I am missing a shared folder of which I am the Owner.  Other members seem to have corrupted files.  When I go to Deleted Files this folder doesn't show up, but when I search all files for it, I get the following response:  "Jail Ministries" with a grayed-out folder with a negative sign and a little icon that I think is a trash can to the left of it (wish I could show you but this text box doesn't allow screen shots) then under Relevance, a date of 4/25/20, then the "..." where I can choose Restore.  But then nothing happens (when I select Restore), and occasionally when I try it I get the "Whoops, an error occurred" message.

I have successfully retrieved deleted files before.  What's up this time?

Thanks,

Nancy 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: retrieving deleted files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @nangr.

If your access was removed from the folder without you unsharing the folder with these steps, then you weren't the owner of that folder I'm afraid.

To get access back to the shared folder, you would need the owner to reshare it with you. Otherwise, another member of the folder that still has access might be able to add you back depending on the permissions the owner set.

The person you mentioned who had access previously to this folder might be the best option to assist you with this. If they removed the folder from their account, but didn't remove their access, they might still see the folder in their sharing tab.

In this case they could try adding the folder back to their account from the sharing tab and see if they can share the folder with you again, or at least see who the owner of the folder was.

The only other option really would be to check your email inbox to see if you still have the shared folder invitation email. From there you can see who shared the folder with you initially.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but do let me know if you have any questions.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @nangr, I'd be happy to help out with this!

Could you check your Events page here and let me know if you see any events related to this missing folder? If so, what do those events show?

A move is seen as a deletion from one location and an addition in another, so please check for all recent events regarding this folder for a better idea of what happened here.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Wow, thanks, Daphne!  It says I removed my access to the shared folder Jail Ministries.  Problem is, I think I'm the owner, though obviously I can't check that now.  And one other person who I know had access and ability to edit does not have this shared folder any longer--though she sent me a content-related one that is pretty much gibberish (machine language).

What do I do to get my shared folder back?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @nangr.

If your access was removed from the folder without you unsharing the folder with these steps, then you weren't the owner of that folder I'm afraid.

To get access back to the shared folder, you would need the owner to reshare it with you. Otherwise, another member of the folder that still has access might be able to add you back depending on the permissions the owner set.

The person you mentioned who had access previously to this folder might be the best option to assist you with this. If they removed the folder from their account, but didn't remove their access, they might still see the folder in their sharing tab.

In this case they could try adding the folder back to their account from the sharing tab and see if they can share the folder with you again, or at least see who the owner of the folder was.

The only other option really would be to check your email inbox to see if you still have the shared folder invitation email. From there you can see who shared the folder with you initially.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but do let me know if you have any questions.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?