cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are my photos?

Where are my photos?

Explorer | Level 3

I've been busy scanning old photos (for hours) to my desktop and then into Dropbox folder by simple drag and drop.  If relevant, I'm scanning as JPegs.   No problem... until (some) just disappeared, and continue to do so as I try more.  I definitely did not delete them, so I can't see anything in deleted files to be sure.  I can't search for them by name as I don't know the name (and some are named Scan4 for example.  I do not have any shared folders and I am the only audience.

I think I've searched pretty much everywhere and I'm super frustrated as I'm working within a timeframe.

Where else do I look?  How else can I retrieve them?  Will it continue to happen?  Will I eventually go mad?

3 Replies 3

Re: Where are my photos?

Dropboxer

Hi there @CAN48, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

It does sounds rather strange indeed, so I'd like to ask a little more about your current setup.

Can you let me know the current sync status of the desktop app? You can see this by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray.

Also, if you check your account's event page here, what actions do you see related to these new files?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne.  Thank you for your reply.  My expertise is definitely not IT, and I'm afraid I have little idea of what you are asking of me.

I have hovered over the icon and get pretty much nothing.  I searched further for "sync" and found something that said "local".

I looked at my events page; it indicates a whole lot of panic in searching for these files.  In saying that, none are indicated as moved or deleted.  It is super difficult to search for photos by name, as they are showing a scan number only, as they are scanned off old hard copy photos, so it could be any of them and would entail me looking individually.

Daphne, as these are super precious photos of my (deceased) son, I don't feel I can trust Dropbox, so I think it best for me to look for an alternative.

Thank you again for your time.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @CAN48.

I completely understand, I would be more than happy to help in any way I can. If you'd want to continue, that is.

If you'd like to, some screenshots of what you're seeing from your side would be really helpful.

Otherwise, I hope you have a great rest of your week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?