cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Where have my syncing icons gone?

Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I used to have an icon telling me that the file indeed was sync with my Dropbox (I guess you call it "sync icon"? Not sure).

I upgraded to the new version when I got the possibility and since that day, I can't see these icons anymore. I don't know what folders are online and what folders are not (unless I remember it), and I can't see when a file or folder is synchronizing or synchronized anymore.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro.

How can I get the icons back? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Cyril

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Sync Icon missing?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply, @cyrilmalka

Since you’ve tried reinstalling, the issue may be related to other apps on your computer that use the icon overlay and context menu functionality of your OS.

If you are on Windows, please note that it has a limit of 15 overlay icons that Windows Explorer can load, with the OS reserving 4 for its own use. If there are more than 15, then Dropbox's icons or context menus may not show.

To find out how many overlays you have registered, you can check the registry:
  1. Press the Windows key + R and enter regedit.
  2. Navigate to the following registry key with this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers     
  1. Scroll right for complete command line.
  2. If the Dropbox overlays are in the first 15 positions, they will display; otherwise you'll need to make room for them. Please note that this requires you to delete or deprioritize other applications' overlays, so only proceed if you’re sure about what you'll affect.
  3. If you decide to proceed, you can select individual keys and delete them by right-clicking on the desired key. If you don’t want to delete them, you can rename them and place a Z at the beginning to send them to the end of the alphabetically sorted list.
  4. Quit explorer.exe and launch again from the Task Manager, or restart your computer.
  5. Launch Dropbox, and the sync icons should re-appear.

If you are on a Mac though, you can check if a third-party app is causing this issue with the following steps:
  1. Save any files and quit all programs.
  2. Completely quit and close any third-party cloud service applications such as Google Drive, OneDrive, or others.
  3. Quit Dropbox:
  • Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
  • Select your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar.
  • Click Quit Dropbox.
  1. Relaunch Finder using the following steps:
  2. Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen.
  3. Click on force quit.
  4. Select Finder then click Relaunch.
  5. Restart the Dropbox app.
If the issue is resolved at this point, it may be due to the third-party apps running on the computer. 

If the issue persists or you see that a new application is causing issues, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. 

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there @cyrilmalka

As  first step, I’d recommend checking out this article which proposes some steps if you’re not seeing the Dropbox syncing icons. 

If you’re still having trouble with this though, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what your Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock shows when you hover over it? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

When I click on your link, I get a error 4xx page.

Image 2019-07-10 at 6.56.10 AM.png

Regards,

Cyril

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @cyrilmalka, sorry about that. 

Could you try the following link, instead?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello again,

So, I reinstalled Dropbox and then I unlinked and relinked my account. It didn't help. 

Dropbox tells me: "Please reinstall Dropbox to fix all your syncing icons!"

If I click on "Learn more". I am sent to the broken link you gave to me in the first place.

I reinstalled twice and get the message that I have updated, but I still have the message that "Please reinstall Dropbox to fix all your syncing icons!".

Regards,

Cyril

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply, @cyrilmalka

Since you’ve tried reinstalling, the issue may be related to other apps on your computer that use the icon overlay and context menu functionality of your OS.

If you are on Windows, please note that it has a limit of 15 overlay icons that Windows Explorer can load, with the OS reserving 4 for its own use. If there are more than 15, then Dropbox's icons or context menus may not show.

To find out how many overlays you have registered, you can check the registry:
  1. Press the Windows key + R and enter regedit.
  2. Navigate to the following registry key with this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers     
  1. Scroll right for complete command line.
  2. If the Dropbox overlays are in the first 15 positions, they will display; otherwise you'll need to make room for them. Please note that this requires you to delete or deprioritize other applications' overlays, so only proceed if you’re sure about what you'll affect.
  3. If you decide to proceed, you can select individual keys and delete them by right-clicking on the desired key. If you don’t want to delete them, you can rename them and place a Z at the beginning to send them to the end of the alphabetically sorted list.
  4. Quit explorer.exe and launch again from the Task Manager, or restart your computer.
  5. Launch Dropbox, and the sync icons should re-appear.

If you are on a Mac though, you can check if a third-party app is causing this issue with the following steps:
  1. Save any files and quit all programs.
  2. Completely quit and close any third-party cloud service applications such as Google Drive, OneDrive, or others.
  3. Quit Dropbox:
  • Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
  • Select your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar.
  • Click Quit Dropbox.
  1. Relaunch Finder using the following steps:
  2. Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen.
  3. Click on force quit.
  4. Select Finder then click Relaunch.
  5. Restart the Dropbox app.
If the issue is resolved at this point, it may be due to the third-party apps running on the computer. 

If the issue persists or you see that a new application is causing issues, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. 

Thanks!

Lusil

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello again,

Yes, there were a lot of OneDrive icons taking all the place (I don't use it anyway), I removed them and now it works.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Cyril

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Happy to help, @cyrilmalka! I’m glad we were able to get to the bottom of this. 

If you have any other questions in the future, don’t hesitate to give me a shout. In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?