cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back pause sync for indefinite period

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all your updates here!

I just wanted to drop in to confirm that "indefinite" option is indeed available again through the pause function.

We appreciate all your feedback here when the change was initially made, and for taking the time to make us aware that this was a function used daily in your workflows.

I have seen the additional thoughts since this was reintroduced and made a note of this too.

If there's anything else that I can help with, please don't hesitate to give me a shout here - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Viper_TX
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

I would like to say how EXCITED I am that dropbox finally reinstated a feature they removed without any input from their customer base. Unfortunately, that would not be TRUE - not only did Dropbox make this terrible change but they flatly ignored their customer's complaints on this thread since SEPTEMBER.

In the mean time, customers have had to deal with metered connections "over quota" along with a myriad of other issues that should have never happened. PAUSE DRAGON posted an excellent update regarding the deafening silence from Dropbox and the level of frustration experienced by Dropbox customers across the board.

Mark W. also noted (as I'm sure multiple other customers have) why he has moved on to other cloud synchronization products.

Bottom line - Dropbox failed it's customers by implementing a burdensome change and added insult by not tellings us - Hey, we hear you and we're on it!!

A very bad business decision during a time like this with so many competing products!

PAUSE DRAGON
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox:  Thank you for reinstating Pause Indefinitely. That functionality is very important to the success of my work and obviously for the 7000+ others that contributed to or followed this thread. 

As stated before, when Pause Indefinitely was removed with no notice at all,  I had conflicts which caused much frustration and loss of time to untangle as well as a small loss of data.  Like Mark, I probably would have left except... I have so many projects running right now there has been no time to take a breath and look for a different solution so I have just struggled and used every workaround that I could cobble together. 

I wonder for future, if perhaps Dropbox could consider COMMUNICATION. Sure, it is your program and your choices how you manage it, but when you build a good product and have been fortunate to have customers who rely on it... making a huge change and not even contributing knowledgeable comments about why/how/when/if... is not fair, not good business and is absolutely horrible customer service.

I am a workaholic and although a social person, not a "social" apps person... no time. This is the first posting I have ever done and now I am "done" posting.  (Hope!) 

Re: Where is the pause function on the desktop app? Can we revert it?

NathanXP
New member | Level 2

Does this process prevent DB from attempting to sync the file?
We use an application that takes an obscene amount of time to save, and when DB attempts to update the file while it is saving [because it's been updated] the app panics and refuses to save because another program is accessing the file. [the irony here is that it does save, it just thinks it can't and the only way to clear that is to close the app entirely]

If this firewall process essentially triggers DB to do nothing until the "internet is back" then this could be very useful to me and my coworkers.

PAUSE DRAGON
Helpful | Level 6

YES!  As long as Dropbox is on "Indefinitely" nothing is syncing so your slow saving file would be able to do it's work before anyone syncs.  When that file is saved, you can then sync to the cloud then others can sync to get the updated file.  It is truly an excellent function.

Viper_TX
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Nathan - I have a similiar issue with my customer's Outlook "PST" (10GB) file. DB will attempt to sync but never does while the user is in Outlook actively using the APP. As soon as the user exits Outlook - DB successfully begins the sync process. I believe this is a normal function of DB and my suggestion is to DISABLE DB sync until the user has exited the APP and begin the sync process again.

NathanXP
New member | Level 2

Ugh. Of course when I select "Reply" under a specific comment, it doesn't link to that comment.
My question of whether or not "this will work" was in regards to a solution Zjord posted back in October, involving the production of 2 command files that would revoke and reinstate DBs network access.

I'm curious if revoking access to the internet will prevent DB from even attempting to access the file. [it's currently on my list of things to test]

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Need more support?