cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the pause function on the desktop app? Can we revert it?

Highlighted

Where is the pause function on the desktop app? Can we revert it?

Helpful | Level 6

Today my Dropbox has been updated (v104.4.175). This update introduced new context menu (this one: https://i.imgur.com/5Ua5d8v.png). It looks great -BUT- it is very limited. Previously I could click on 'temporary pause synchronization' menu item. There is no such item in the new menu and I don't know how to do it otherwise. I don't like these trends to achieve simplicity by cutting functionality. Please return it back!

74 Replies 74
Highlighted

Re: Cannot pause synchronization after update

Helpful | Level 5

I just noticed this as well. I need to pause sync when using some applications because Dropbox is such a CPU hog. Kindly restore this functionality.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Same issue, I really need this "paus sync" functionality in my workflow for processing photos : I have many duplicates because i use bracketing extensively and I need to to sort my pictures from their ultimate dropbox folder to eliminate the duplicates  before they get synced

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Yes, please bring back Pause Syncing!  There are so many times I want to control what is using my bandwidth.  At least create a preference to reveal the functionality if it isn't in the menu by default.   

We also have a user who needs to use a mobile hotspot right now and can't have Dropbox eat up all of her data because there's no way to pause without quitting.

Highlighted

Please revert the Pause Syncing functionality

Helpful | Level 6

I use the Pause Sync feature dozens of times a day - just clicking on the dropbox icon and clicking on the Pause Sync button. Nice and simple.

As of yesterday, my dropbox app now requires an additional click to confirm pausing, which is COMPLETELY unnecessary.  Now i have to choose a duration of time for how long I want the sync paused?!  It isn't intuitive at all.  Please change it back to a single-click action.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Actually - it looks like this functionality is still there, it's just been removed from the menu where it used to be.

If you click the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar and then hover mouse over the sync status at the bottom of the Dropbox menu, you still have the option to pause it!

pauseSyncing.jpg

Phew.

Highlighted

Re: I can't find the option to pause syncing. Can you help?

New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue. Mac laptop, there is no more pause sync button.

I'm a dropbox power user. I've paused sync 1000 times and the button seems to have disapeared.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

The fact that I had to carefully review the new UI and then do a search of Dropbox support and then come to the community to find the answers shows that the UI has issues. Moving the mouse over the "up to date" to get the pause option is in no way intuitive. An easy fix would be to put the dropdown arrow next to the "up to date" check mark. This at least indicates that going there would expose more.

Highlighted

How to Pause Sync indefinitely in Windows Desktop App?

New member | Level 2

This options always existed, but today it disappear. Is it a bug or something?

Highlighted

Re: How to Pause Sync indefinitely in Windows Desktop App?

New member | Level 2

Same here on a Mac! I edit many files using scripts, I don't want them constantly syncing while I'm working on them. This will create an issue on my side certainly.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?