cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Who can see who has access to view folder?

Who can see who has access to view folder?

i-xmg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If I give access to users outside the team to view a folder, can they see all the other users that can view the folder? 

For example, if user A, B and C (all outside the team) have access to view a folder - can B see that A and C also have access? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dorian
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi,

The short answer is that members of shared folders can see all other members, regardless of whether they are team members or not. Shared folders are intended for collaboration, and so the ability to hide membership doesn't make much sense. In the event that you would like to share files with people without them being able to see who else the files are shared with or who are members, you may use a shared link. 

A similar question was addressed on the forum earlier at this link:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Hide-the-members-of-a-shared-folder/idi-p/52253

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dorian
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi,

The short answer is that members of shared folders can see all other members, regardless of whether they are team members or not. Shared folders are intended for collaboration, and so the ability to hide membership doesn't make much sense. In the event that you would like to share files with people without them being able to see who else the files are shared with or who are members, you may use a shared link. 

A similar question was addressed on the forum earlier at this link:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Hide-the-members-of-a-shared-folder/idi-p/52253

Lucycxs
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Well I am looking at a Dropbox folder which has been shared with me. I can't see who it has been shared with, only that there are 12 people. This is annoying because I have been tasked with sharing it with others, but I don't know who can and can't see it at present. So someone somewhere has a solution to hiding the member details!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Where are you seeing its shared with 12 people Lucycxs?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Lucycxs
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Mark

It is a private account being used by a voluntary community group. I can't share the details online. I am currently trying to establish who the orignal owner of the folder is. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
If I'm to help I need to at least know the web page URL which shows the information.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?