cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting a message about the desktop app settings being changed?

Why am I getting a message about the desktop app settings being changed?

usrx
Helpful | Level 6

Hello!

I received this message from the Dropbox app for Windows.

2021-07-20-115450.png

"We've updated your settings to open folders in Explorer. To change back to the Dropbox desktop app, go to your settings."

What does this mean, in simple English? Who updated what settings and why?

8 Replies 8

I have lost the graphical interface, the dropbox only opens as a windows window.

archeus66
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone, I am writing to you because I have lost the graphical interface of the program, the dropbox only opens as a windows window.
The problem started when yesterday I installed an android emulator program on my pc, which, in order to download an app from its store, asked me to enter my Gmail account.
I have uninstalled the installer program, I have also uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled it, but the problem persists. It only opens me as a windows window.
Do any of you know the solution?
Thanks!

Re: I have lost the graphical interface, the dropbox only opens as a windows window.

usrx
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, but how is this related to my topic? You need to start a new discussion for this topic, or find a more relevant discussion you can join in on.

Re: Why am I getting a message about the desktop app settings being changed?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @usrx, @archeus66, thanks for messaging the Community!

This message is related to the Dropbox desktop application, meaning that it has changed from using the desktop app, to opening your files in the Dropbox folder on your machine.

If you wish to change it back to the Dropbox app, you can open the Preferences and change the option using these steps

@usrx, I merged the posts since the issue was related to the same query about the desktop app.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I have lost the graphical interface, the dropbox only opens as a windows window.

usrx
Helpful | Level 6

@archeus66

this has nothing to do with you installing an Android emulator and typing in your Gmail email address in there. If by "graphical interface" you're referring to the "new Desktop app" then all you have to do is change that setting to "Dropbox desktop app". See the bottom portion of the screenshot I posted.

archeus66
New member | Level 2

Thank you very much!

Bud S.1
Explorer | Level 3

I have the same question as the original poster, and NONE of these replies is in simple English. I don't know what the purpose of the destop app is. So I don't know whether I want to open folders in the Finder or the Dropbox desktop app. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Must both computers be set the same? When should I check the box to open the desktop app when starting Dropbox, and when should I leave it unchecked?

I want files always to be synchronized between my two computers, and until now they always have been, but suddenly I am having trouble with (as far as I can tell) just one data file. I get the synchronized file on one of my computers but not on the other even though my settings are now the same. Do I need to reboot both computers after changing any of these settings or is my problem something else?

usrx
Helpful | Level 6

"I don't know what the purpose of the [desktop] app is."

First off, see my previous note on ambiguity of the term "desktop app". I will assume that you're asking about the "new Desktop app" as Dropbox refers to it, or in other words, the new GUI of the Dropbox app for desktop operating systems.

The purpose of the new GUI is to give you a rich, Dropbox native, user experience.

"So I don't know whether I want to open folders in the Finder or the Dropbox desktop app. What are the advantages and disadvantages?"

Do you want to open folders in the Finder? Would you rather open folders in the new Dropbox GUI? You have to decide for yourself. The main advantage with one vs. the other is exactly that, having that option disabled will open your Dropbox folders in the Finder, vs. having that option enabled will open your Dropbox folders in the new Dropbox GUI.

If you do enable that option if it's been disabled by Dropbox, and then quit and re-launch Dropbox, you can read all about it. Dropbox will display a few slides with convincing messages.

"Welcome to the new Dropbox desktop app"

Welcome to the new Dropbox desktop appWelcome to the new Dropbox desktop app

"Bring it all together"

Bring it all togetherBring it all together

"Get everyone on the same page"

Get everyone on the same pageGet everyone on the same page

"Sync up"

Sync upSync up

"Dive in"

Dive inDive in

This is what the "new Dropbox desktop app" (new GUI) looks like.

The new Dropbox desktop app GUIThe new Dropbox desktop app GUI

The screenshot is taken on a Windows PC. I don't work with Macs but I would expect the visuals to be very similar on a Mac. After all, there would be no point in creating it if you don't intend to have a unified Dropbox experience across devices or platforms.

This is where to find the option for enabling or disabling this in the app settings on Windows.

Open the desktop app when starting DropboxOpen the desktop app when starting Dropbox

"Must both computers be set the same?"

I don't think so, so I would say no.

"When should I check the box to open the desktop app when starting Dropbox, and when should I leave it unchecked?"

Check it when you want to use the new Dropbox native GUI experience, uncheck it when you want to use the Mac native tools and apps to experience Dropbox on your desktop. When unchecked (disabled), the Dropbox app is less obstructive in my opinion by running in the background and just keeping my files in sync.

"I want files always to be synchronized between my two computers, and until now they always have been, but suddenly I am having trouble with (as far as I can tell) just one data file. I get the synchronized file on one of my computers but not on the other even though my settings are now the same."

You said it yourself, the settings are now the same, yet you still have this problem of one file not being synchronized. Therefore, it makes sense to draw the conclusion that this issue is unrelated to having the option for the new Dropbox GUI enabled vs. disabled. Like any tool or app, Dropbox is perfectly capable of causing you sync issues even without involvement of the new Dropbox GUI.

"Do I need to reboot both computers after changing any of these settings or is my problem something else?"

For good measure, and to put your mind at rest, you might as well reboot. It should not take more than a minute or two on a new computer. But for the changes to take effect when you enable or disable the option for the new GUI, all you have to do is quit Dropbox and then re-launch it.

usrx
Helpful | Level 6

Finally, I want to add a few more finishing points to this.

• Early versions of the Dropbox desktop app did not have this kind of GUI for organizing files.
  • When the new GUI was introduced in some version of Dropbox, it was enabled by default. (Making me disable it to get rid of it.)
  • The confusing message (from my original post) only appeared after the new GUI was set as disabled by default in a more recent version of the Dropbox desktop app. (Overriding the preference for all users unless it's set to disabled.)
  • This move by Dropbox company had affected Dropbox users differently. I for one don't use and I don't need this GUI, so I already had it disabled. Whereas @archeus66 was disappointed when this GUI stopped loading, because @archeus66 was using it (and it was enabled, so it got disabled). The title of this topic reveals this – "I have lost the graphical interface, the dropbox only opens as a windows window". This is not my title, for my original post was its own topic before it was merged with this one. So all Dropbox users have presumably received the message after this change was made to Dropbox as part of an update, causing confusion for some (myself included) and disappointment in others (I too am disappointed in the way the change was handled).

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

usrx Helpful | Level 6
    Bud S.1 Explorer | Level 3
    archeus66 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?