cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I overquota after deleting files?

Why am I overquota after deleting files?

Explorer | Level 3

When I quit my teaching job, I shared a whole bunch of files with colleagues, then deleted the files. However, Dropbox keeps telling me that I don't have any more space, even though I deleted about a gig's worth of stuff. I suspect it has something to do with the sharing, but since I don't have the files anymore, I can't unshare them. What to do, other than pay to upgrade or migrate to Box? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Storage

Dropboxer

It sounds like you now have a fair amount of space on the account, @LeslieCCW.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know. If not, enjoy your week ahead!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dropboxer

Hi @LeslieCCW, thanks for contacting us!

It sounds like you might still have the shared folders on your account.

Could you try these steps to unshare the folders completely (if you are the owner), which will also delete them from your colleagues' accounts.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Because I deleted the files from Dropbox after sharing, the files no longer show up in All Files. 

However, there is a file called "personal folders" that has the .pst extension. Your article entitled "What types of files can I preview" does not include that file extension. The folder in my system is 690MB. Two things: how do I preview it to make sure there's nothing I need in there (bc I suspect it might be an old work file that I don't need but can't preview it to be sure)? And if I delete it, will I then have sufficient space? 

Thanks. 

Dropboxer

A PST file is related to an Outlook email backup.

It can't be previewed via the site, and you'd need to open it in Outlook to see if all your emails in that backup are there.

Deleting the file could help, however, it depends entirely on how much overquota your account is.

You can see the total quota usage here, so if removing 690 MB would help, then deleting the file might be useful.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. I deleted the file (my only Outlook account was my work (school) account, and needless to say, I don't need those files anymore. I now apparently have .74 GB of space. 

Dropboxer

It sounds like you now have a fair amount of space on the account, @LeslieCCW.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know. If not, enjoy your week ahead!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?