cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are files moved instead of copied?

Why are files moved instead of copied?

Helpful | Level 5

when i add a file to my DB-Folder the file is moved instead of just copied ... in earlier versions of DB this was only when DB-Folder and selected file were on the same harddrive ... now the selected file is gone in the origin folder (no matter if on a different HD) when put to the DB via Drag&Drop ... thats pretty bad, OSX Mojave ... any idea? Thx in advance. Ralf

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why are Files moved from origin Folder to DropBox and not just copied

Helpful | Level 5

Thx, have a Solution... when dragging and dropping files only inside the OS X Finder (Not using DB GUI) it works as expected. Files from a HD where the DB folder is located are moved, files from a different HD are copied. When using the DB GUI, files are moved ... best regards, Ralf

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer

Hi @ralf_123; thanks for joining our Community!

Quoting from the relevant Help Center article, your Dropbox folder works just like any other folder on your hard drive (even if you are offline): files move instead of copy when they are dragged and dropped into your Dropbox.

Let me know the exact steps you're taking and what exactly is not working as expected for you and I'll be happy to look into this for you Ralf.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Thx, have a Solution... when dragging and dropping files only inside the OS X Finder (Not using DB GUI) it works as expected. Files from a HD where the DB folder is located are moved, files from a different HD are copied. When using the DB GUI, files are moved ... best regards, Ralf

View solution in original post

Helpful | Level 5

Hi again, got an email to mark this item as an accepted solution ... but did not find how to do this ... solution was found, what to do to place the mark? Thx Ralf

Explorer | Level 4

Yes, using the Finder to shift files around works correctly – using the Dropbox App does not. It MOVES files when dragging from remote drives (servers/shares etc). Not good.

It has been discussed many times on these forums, but Dropbox havn't fixed it yet…

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Copy-Move-new-app-behaviour-is-dangerously-dif...

And here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dragging-file-copy-vs-move/m-p/334403

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?