cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why auto sync new folder in Selective Sync mode

Why auto sync new folder in Selective Sync mode

New member | Level 2

Hi. 

I would like to be able to choose in prefs that when I make a new folder in dropbox, I don't want it to sync automatically to my desktop! Now every time i make a new folder I need to go into my app, Prefs/sync/selective sync and unmark the folder I just created. Should be a global option. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why auto sync new folder in Selective Sync mode

Dropboxer
Hi there @Tinnitus!

Indeed, currently selective sync is a device-specific feature, allowing you to choose which folders you want to have available locally or not synced on that specific computer. However, I do understand how important this is for you, so I’ve gone ahead and shared your thoughts with the dev team for future consideration. 

If you have any other comments you’d like me to forward, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Dropboxer
Hi there @Tinnitus!

Indeed, currently selective sync is a device-specific feature, allowing you to choose which folders you want to have available locally or not synced on that specific computer. However, I do understand how important this is for you, so I’ve gone ahead and shared your thoughts with the dev team for future consideration. 

If you have any other comments you’d like me to forward, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Great. 

It would really be helpful. 

If I do a live recording of an artist and upload it to a folder in purpose of cloud backup and sharing it to the artist I don't want that on my devices by default (specially not a second copy on my laptop that I recorded from). It will start to download imidiately and I need to go in on my devices and uncheck the sync on that new folder. You get the idea.

Thanks. 

Dropboxer
What you could do in this case, @Tinnitus, would be to upload the file in question in a folder that’s selectively synced on your computer. That way, the file wouldn’t be synced on your computer, but it would be available on your account. 

I hope this helps! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

That is of course true. But still i think a global option would be a great addition. 

Selective sync implies also in the meaning that you select it to sync. 

Should be possible to turn of so new folders doesn't sync by default. 

Thanks again!

New member | Level 2

Please Fix this issue.  Big problem.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Jeff M.51, I'd be more than happy to help, what's troubling you?

Don't hesitate to provide me with any info that illustrates the behavior you're experiencing and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possibe. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Use Case:

Engineering Company with Clients (folders) / Location (folders) / Project (folders)

Users Only want to sync selected Projects - Okay that works fine.

Howerver, new Projects are Automatically added to All Users >>> When we start a new project we will add a folder under Clients/Location/(...Project...)  Do not want this to automatically sync when selective sync is selected.  Do not want to have to go and tell New Folders not to sync.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @Jeff M.51

In general, when you selectively sync a location in your Dropbox folder on a computer, whatever you add to that path, whether you do it from the website or another device, the new item(s) won't sync to the computer. 

For example, I have a folder called First, and in that folder I have folders A and B syncing to my computer. I then choose to selectively sync folder A.

If I add a file to folder A through the website, that file won't sync to my computer because the path is removed from the hard drive. 

However, if I add folder C under my First folder, that folder will sync to my computer because there isn't a selective sync setting applied to it. 

For this reason, each time a new folder is created, each user/member needs to manually remove it from the selective sync settings from the device they don't want it to sync to. 

Finally, if you are part of a Business team, I'd recommend giving this article a read, which talks about team selective sync. 

I hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 7

@Lusil If you have this hierarchy:

Projects
--Project A
--Project B
--Project C

and you selectively sync projects A and B, but not C, that will work just fine. However, as soon as someone adds Project D, it will sync automatically, which is unexpected and very illogical behavior. If you use Team shares like we do with hundreds of projects, users would have to manage selective sync nearly every hour when all they actually want are a few projects at a time. Selective Sync should mean, you know, select what you want to sync. Not "select what you want to sync based on what's here right now, but you're also going to get everything new after this point no matter what."

OneDrive does this exactly the way it should be done. You either sync the whole folder or you pick the pieces you want and that's it. What you suggested is not a valid solution and certainly not a valid use case or explanation of proper behavior.

Team folders help with this due to having a default sync option, but letting a client choose what to sync is the clear answer.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?