cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I create a text file on the Dropbox app, but not on dropbox.com?

Highlighted

Why can I create a text file on the Dropbox app, but not on dropbox.com?

Helpful | Level 7

On occasion, I desire to simply create and edit a basic text (.txt) file. I don't require any complex formatting, I'm just trying to save an unformatted note, in file form. 

This can be done on my iPhone or IPad Dropbox app - happy days. However, to my bewilderment, such a fundamental task can't be completed on dropbox.com. On the browser, I can't write a text (.txt) file. There is functionality to write in the 'overview' section, and also create and write word online or google sheets - but alas, not the humble .txt file. Though dropbox.com polietely opens and displays .txt splendidly, it seems to have left out the ability to oversee their genesis.

Dropbox, could you please no discard the basics, such as writing text files on dropbox.com. It causes a woebegone weariness in us humble dropbox users.

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Why can I create a text file on the Dropbox app, but not on dropbox.com?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Olbliss, I hope you're well today!

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us on this, I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your thoughts on this.

You're indeed right that at the moment, this function doesn't exists on the Dropbox website and only within the mobile app.

Another user posted in our "Share an idea" section of the Community about this here, so I'd suggest to just show your support for this there too by upvoting the idea.

Sorry that I can't really offer much more on this. Feel free to nudge me here if you have any other questions though, I'd be happy to help.

Hope you have a great day!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Why can I create a text file on the Dropbox app, but not on dropbox.com?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is caused a lot of frustation. Hope they bring this back. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?