cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I only open an excel file on web from Dropbox.com?

Why can I only open an excel file on web from Dropbox.com?

jazzmeg
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hello

When I try to open an excel file from Dropbox.com, why do I see only "Excel for web"? Why not see "Open in Excel" so that I can open the file locally?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jazzmeg wrote:

When I try to open an excel file from Dropbox.com, why do I see only "Excel for web"? Why not see "Open in Excel" so that I can open the file locally?

Is the file in the Dropbox folder on your computer, and syncing through the Dropbox app? The Open in Excel option is only available for files that exist in the Dropbox folder on your local drive.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jazzmeg wrote:

Is the file in the Dropbox folder on your computer, and syncing through the Dropbox app? The Open in Excel option is only available for files that exist in the Dropbox folder on your local drive.

jazzmeg
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thank you!

JodAccounts
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I work from home but the company I work for uses Dropbox.  I don't want to download or store this content on my personal/home computer but I want to be able to open files through Excel or Word etc. on my local drive so that I can easily make changes and have it saved straight back to Dropbox. A colleague is able to do this but when I try to open, all I get is "Excel for the web" or "Google docs".  I have tried logging into Dropbox from Chrome and Edge with the same result.  What am I missing?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JodAccounts New member | Level 2
    jazzmeg Collaborator | Level 10
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?