cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I delete files to free up space?

Why can't I delete files to free up space?

New member | Level 2

My dropbox is full, and it appears I can't delete files so as to make space - I seem to be being told that the ONLY option is to set up a paid subscription. When I go to 'contact support' to query this, they have made very sure that it is impossible for me as a standard account holder to actually contact anyone at the company, at all. Am I being obtuse or is this as objectively awful as it appears?

Please help!

2 Replies 2

Re: Is Dropbox taking the absolute weewee??

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Jamron5,

Can't sync and can't delete are different things! 😉 If I have to bet, you can't sync your local deletions. Am I rhight? You should be able delete whatever you need using the web interface and when current over quota go away, sync will "resurrect". 😁

Hope this helps.

Re: Is Dropbox taking the absolute weewee??

Dropboxer

Hi @Jamron5, thanks for posting on the Community!

Have you tried deleting your files on the Dropbox site? Are you getting any error messages?

Could you check your quota here to see how much is used up by private or shared folders on your account?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?