cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync

Why can't I open Smart Synced online-only files?

SherryCooper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

I've been using the smart sync function to save space on my Mac. It has been working very well until today. 

When I try to open any files that are set to online only, they will not open. However, when I choose local, they do open. 

These files opened fine yesterday, but now today they won't. It's not just a small number of files. it's ALL of them. 

31 Replies 31

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The file checking tool only found two inconsequential files. All other paths seem to be legitimate. I can access all my files on other computers just fine. The problem seems to be isolated to this machine only. A potentially useful note, this is the only machine I use that uses Office 2019. I use older versions of Office on all other devices.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Is it okay if we reach out to your email associated with your forum profile in order to investigate this further?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That would be appreciated, yes.

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

To provide closure on my particular issue to the rest of the community, I'm replying here. 

Turns out that the problem was with Microsoft Office suite, not Dropbox, as might have been expected from my comment on the Office specific document problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office fixed the issue.

AKUK
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just had this issue with one user, turns out they had installed the Office apps from the Windows Store rather than their Office 365 software. I removed the apps, installed the desktop software and this fixed it. Thanks for the info.

notseanlynch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This hasn't solved the issue for me at all. Office documents are not the only affected documents. I cannot open PDFs or any other file at all without first making it local. I have tried all the other steps in this thread. Any other ideas?

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox Support first, before I found my solution, told me to uninstall Dropbox and then reinstall with a link to the latest version of dropbox. I'd start there if I were you. After that, direct contact with Dropbox Support might give you a better list of troubleshooting steps to follow. There are also other threads similar to this one in the community forums.

notseanlynch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you. I have already done this, taking care to ensure it was being installed as an Administrator. No dice.

Pavman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, I am a new user and all of my employees whom use a 3D rendering program have the same issue as any refrenced file will not be opened by the master file.......  Were you ever able to resolve this??

notseanlynch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have no idea whether it was something I did to fix it, or it just started working, but it works now. Last I can recall, I stopped caring and it began working at some unspecified time after that. Wish I had more for you.

Need more support?