cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I open Smart Synced online-only files?

Why can't I open Smart Synced online-only files?

SherryCooper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

I've been using the smart sync function to save space on my Mac. It has been working very well until today. 

When I try to open any files that are set to online only, they will not open. However, when I choose local, they do open. 

These files opened fine yesterday, but now today they won't. It's not just a small number of files. it's ALL of them. 

31 Replies 31

RickyW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I have the same problem, except mine is in a mac. I still have my other mac (the one that I migrate the data from to this new mac). The new mac is the one w the problem, fyi. To be clear, the problem is having to manually select the smart sync option and choose Local in order to open the file. My older mac doesn't have this problem. It'll just take 3 seconds to download the file and it'll open by itself. 

Btw mine happens accross all type of files. Nothing is wrong w my office suite. 

Can you please help?

ssjandres
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been having the same issue for the past year. Word, Excel, even images won't open until I right click and select local, under smart sync (which is a BIG inconvenience). But for example, pdf's do open fine, even if they are marked "online only".

This is a big issue. Any other suggestions?

Max-Eloize
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've got the exact same problem with one of my team member. She just purchased a new Mac and online-smart-synced PDF and video files won't open except if she change the smart-sync to local. 

LordRugby
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have the same problem but when I switch to local, I get the sync sign on each file but that its all, so frustrating!

Ventus88
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is super annoying! I've got a new MacBook, everything uptodate, using Dropbox Plus for many years, and now all my 'online only' files don't open (before I manually make them available offline and then reverse this again after having used them - it can't get more cumbersome!).

This seems to be the case for at least all files I'd open with MS Office apps, with Preview (pictures, PDFs, etc), TextEdit... 
Internet connection is fast and stable. 

Dropbox-Team, can you please fix this asap?!?

launchscotland
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro after updating to Monterey 12.3.1 it worked fine before this update. I used to be able to open online files in Adobe products and it would auto synch them to offline but now it gives me a warning of "files is empty". Not sure if this is a Dropbox, Mac or Adobe issue...

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @launchscotland, thanks for posting today! 

Do you notice the same behavior when changing the files beforehand to be stored locally? What happens if you do that before trying to open them through Adobe? 

Let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jb_949
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having this same problem on a macOS Monterey. Tif files that are around 100MB large and have synched ok according to my activity bar, won't open unless I drag them to the desktop and wait about a minute. Trying to open from DB online, I get an error that says the file isn't a TIF file, but it is. Kind of a bummer to have to drag files to the desktop and eat up space to open and work on them.

JonShad
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

New PC, installed MSOffice 365, then Dropbox, smart-sync (online-only) some folders, double-click a text file and Windows responds with "Unspecified error".

Tried a PDF: opened a browser and opened the file which had immediately been sync'd (offline).

Tried a PNG: file also opened successfully.

Then I installed notepad++, tried my .txt file, this time it worked by opening in notepad++. It was immediately made available offline.

I think (but am not sure until I can try this on a clean PC again) that Office has installed some hooks that interfere with the Dropbox hooks, for text files and maybe some other office-compatible files. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @JonShad, are you still having issues with this?

If so, could you clarify if the file appears to have synced normally after you get the error or if it's falling altogether?  

Does making the files available offline on your computer work by the way?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    JonShad New member | Level 2
    jb_949 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?