cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why do I see "1 member" from the share window of an unshared file?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

When I click on Share next to a file a popup window opens and show "1 member" is sharing the file but no name is showing. I am worried a hacker has set a link to my file so want to know who it is or remove it. Some other files don't have "1 member" so I know it is not must me being the member. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: want to view who is a member in a shared file

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @DonOz,

When you click on share for a file or folder, you will see “1 member” as the minimum as this refers to yourself. The member count will include yourself so this is why you see no names in the sharing window and still 1 member. 

From what I know, all files will show “1 member” when you click the Share option, but unshared folders with a plain blue folder icon will not show a member count when clicking Share. If you see a folder with the icon showing the 2 person silhouette but only yourself as a member, the folder may have been shared in the past and the others have since been removed. To ease your concerns, you can unshare these folders.  

Hope this clarifies the matter - Thanks!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: want to view who is a member in a shared file

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @DonOz,

When you click on share for a file or folder, you will see “1 member” as the minimum as this refers to yourself. The member count will include yourself so this is why you see no names in the sharing window and still 1 member. 

From what I know, all files will show “1 member” when you click the Share option, but unshared folders with a plain blue folder icon will not show a member count when clicking Share. If you see a folder with the icon showing the 2 person silhouette but only yourself as a member, the folder may have been shared in the past and the others have since been removed. To ease your concerns, you can unshare these folders.  

Hope this clarifies the matter - Thanks!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?