cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my tags disappear when I set my files to online only?

Why do my tags disappear when I set my files to online only?

raziel79
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dear, 

i have installed dropbox app on 2 macs, i have sync my box and i have used colored native tags system on first mac to tag some files with custom tags. It was correctly replicated on second mac. So i switch all my files in "only online" mode and i lost all my tags. If i restore "local mode" it appear. Why? can i use my tags also with "online mode" and share with all dropbox installations?

Best

25 Replies 25

NobleSoul27
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for sharing your workaround. Sounds like DevonThink steps in for / replaces Finder, which I'm not fond of, but I will deliberate funnelling 1.8TB of data through DevonThink…

What this really indicates though, is that if DevonThink can do it, DropBox can do it.

I also find it ironic that DropBox is already using the tag field for its "Online-only" tag. It would seem to me the solution might be as simple as copying the tags on upload of the full file and pasting them alongside this Online-only tag on the 0kb placeholder files.

I'm waiting for a status report, DropBox. Technically, I did not consent to the absence of tag synching when I signed up for DropBox and assuming it can handle interfacing with macOS as claimed/advertise, so this whole issue and its alarming repercussions against workflow and data loss seem quite violating of both common sense and what I'm paying for.

James B.27
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I would really appreciate this being fixed. 

I just moved to a new laptop with intentionally smaller storage, because of the 'clever' online/local file settings. But none of the online files show up under tags 😞

NobleSoul27
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Expandrive has a sync client that works with Dropbox with iCloud-like nativeness, such as tags.

I was using their first version and it seemed a little slow, but they have a sale right now [Removed as per Community Guidelines] and I’m going to buy the app and trying using it more dependably.

https://www.expandrive.com/strongsync/

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi @Walter

It's been 4 years. My online-only files still don't show tags.

When 99% of Mac users use Dropbox in the Finder, you can't remove core Finder features created by Apple.

Is this impossible to fix? Are you working on it? When will it be fixed? It's a critical feature of the Finder. Millions of users use tags.

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Why hasn't this been fixed?

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi Walter,

Is this bug being addressed? It's been years and files are still losing their tags when they go "online only". If a placeholder file is created, shouldn't it also keep it's tags the same way it keeps its name?

Having a MacOS app that removes essential MacOS features is kind of absurd. How am I going to find my filse easily through tags when the tags are gone?

User points out that other apps/services does not have this issue. Dropbox is one of the biggest cloud services in the world and should not remove essential MacOS features from the Finder!

It's a very bad bug and should be prioritized be the team. Fix it or find a workaround please!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Pookeyblow Collaborator | Level 8
    NobleSoul27 Helpful | Level 6
    James B.27 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?