cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do shared files count against my space use???

Why do shared files count against my space use???

dualice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why are files shared with me counted against my space usage? Is this data counted twice? If someone who is sharing files with me is paying for this space, why should I have to pay as well just to access it? I am out of space, I have no intention of buying more space, and yet, when someone shares some files with me, I cannot access them and I am forced to buy space in order to access them. Why is this?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@dualice wrote:

Why are files shared with me counted against my space usage?

Because the files exist in your account.

When you have access to a shared folder, you're not accessing someone else's folder. You're accessing your own COPY of the folder within your account, and you need to have enough space available to hold that folder.

If you just need to view or download files that someone else is sharing with you, ask them to send you a shared link instead. A shared link is a view-only method of sharing and you don't even need a Dropbox account to access it.

View solution in original post

127 Replies 127

Tom_Dia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox says I can't have access to a folder that was shared with me because I don't have enough space in my dropbox?  What does the space in my drop box have to do with accessing someone else's folder?

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Tom

A shared folder takes up space from all accounts that are in that shared folder. To access files without consuming space on your account, please ask the sender to send a link to the shared folder instead (so you can download its contents). More info: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/167

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You're not accessing the data in someone else's folder. You've been invited to the folder, so the folder will be added to your account. That can only happen if you have enough space in your account.

perko7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So that means that if i belong to a large organisation that uses Dropbox to store documents relevant to it's members, and then wants those members to have access to edit those documents (such as meeting minutes, agendas, calendar of events, rosters for volunteers etc), then each user would need to have a Dropbox account equivalent in size to that of the organisation, even though they are not using it for themselves, only for the running of the organisation.  Sounds a bit unfair to me.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Yes it does Perko.

Remember that it is not just storage of files that costs - but also accessing them and bandwidth as a minimum. This is forgetting the staff to develop the software and systems to support people.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@dualice wrote:

Why are files shared with me counted against my space usage?

Because the files exist in your account.

When you have access to a shared folder, you're not accessing someone else's folder. You're accessing your own COPY of the folder within your account, and you need to have enough space available to hold that folder.

If you just need to view or download files that someone else is sharing with you, ask them to send you a shared link instead. A shared link is a view-only method of sharing and you don't even need a Dropbox account to access it.

dualice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That's completely ridiculous. That is just a way for DropBox to make money off of the same data/space. Sharing is sharing, copying is copying.  If I share a file with someone on google drive, google doesn't make a copy of that file, it gives access to the file. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@dualice correct - to cover the increased costs associated with sharing. But, if Dropbox doesnt make money they go bankrupt and then there is no service to use. It doesnt have the backup of other income streams like Google does to make money to run things at a loss. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dualice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Mark,

I appreciate your answer. However, I still think that is a bad implementation. Having to copy files that are really shared is, to me, not a great model. Linux filesystems have mastered the art in allowing other users viewing and editing access to files without copying those files. I can see the extra costs of the "shared" model DropBox has implemented but that can't scale - hence your statement of needing more money. 

Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Helen DBX Dropbox Staff
    JTru New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    caterpillargull New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?