cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does a dl.dropboxusercontent.com download link behave differently?

Why does a dl.dropboxusercontent.com download link behave differently?

Herb N.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A friend and I share mp3 files through dropbox though I use dropbox.cm and he uses dl.dropboxusercontent.com. The link I send him looks and behaves differently than the one he sends me. He gets a button to download the file while his link opens Windows Media Player and I must go through a few more steps to download the file. This is non-copyrighted material, by the way. The only way to get his link when clicked is to add a suffix with the characters - ?dl=0 to the end of the link. What gives with this?

22 Replies 22

ji t.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

how can i use dl.dropboxusercontent.com ?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There's no way to specify which domain is used. Different domains are used for different features. You just create a share link (or Public link if you still have a Public folder) and the link generated is the one you use.

Mod note: edited to update links in post [last updated 2022]

Zoozapper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Would it be possible to make a dl.dropboxusercontent.com link with XML files from :[external link removed by Moderator to align with the Community's Guidelines] and then use it on Apple TV or some other device?   

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

tanosaur
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi there, I am currently building a client solution that relies on the dl.dropboxusercontent.com link. This direct download link type appears to currently be working from my client's Dropbox. Anyone know whether this will be deprecated or deprecated soon?

I read that this link type is currently available for some users with older accounts.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @tanosaur, how are you today? 

Are you referring to public folders by any chance? 

How precisely does your client use the dl.dropboxusercontent direct download for their links?

Let me know more. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tanosaur
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I'd like to reply to Megan from Dropbox however I'm unable to on the forum. The reply button is greyed out. I am logged in and would like to continue my thread https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Why-does-a-dl-dropboxusercontent-com-download-... 

If Megan from Dropbox is able to see this: 

Yes, I believe the folder is public. I'd like to link to individual files within the folder so any visitor on my client's website (a set group of users log in with passwords, it's not any member of the public) downloads the file using the dl.dropboxusercontent.com link. Will this link be deprecated or deprecated soon?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tanosaur wrote:

I'd like to reply to Megan from Dropbox however I'm unable to on the forum. The reply button is greyed out.

Your original post was merged into a locked thread. I've unlocked it.

tanosaur
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you @Rich ! 

@Megan Yes, I believe the folder is public. I'd like to link to individual files within the folder so any visitor on my client's website (a set group of users log in with passwords, it's not any member of the public) downloads the file using the dl.dropboxusercontent.com link. Will this link be deprecated or deprecated soon?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @tanosaur, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that this is one of our official sub-domains as listed here and there are no plans to deprecate it at the moment. 

We'll let you know ahead of time if anything changes. 

On a side note, if you were ever to try doing this with other shared links, you could force them to download using the steps outlined here.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

tanosaur
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks @Walter@Megan 

Could you kindly clarify what @Rich has previously said on this thread? "He's likely sharing a link from the Public folder, which is a deprecated method of sharing files and only available to older accounts that already had the capability."

Is it that the public share link via dl.dropboxusercontent.com is available to older accounts only, but that there are no plans to deprecate this link and function?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Aplha7878 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    tanosaur Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?