cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does drop box send files to other computers on my network and fill their c drives?

Why does drop box send files to other computers on my network and fill their c drives?

bunny007
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

First of all my apologies I suppose  at the age of 78 I can be forgiven for not understanding drop box. I do however love technology and use Adobe Premier Pro, After  effects and Photoshop without problems. I also built my own computer 4 years ago.

I hope you good people on this forum can tell me what I am doing wrong. I have 3 computers for simplicity I will call them computer A B and C. If I download folders and files from my main computer A to drop box  it not only downloads them to drop box but it also writes the files to my c drives on computers B and C which of course soon fills the drives. I am sure this never used to happen a year or so ago. 

Any advise would be appreciated but please don't advise using smart sync which isn't available on my 2 terabyte plan which cost me nearly £100 a year and as a OAP I have to watch every penny.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@bunny007 wrote:

If I download folders and files from my main computer A to drop box  it not only downloads them to drop box but it also writes the files to my c drives on computers B and C ...

That's the main purpose of Dropbox; to sync files from one computer to your account online, and to any other computer where you've installed the Dropbox application. The Dropbox folder on all of your computers is just a regular folder like any other. It exists on your local drive, taking up space. Anything you place in the folder exists on your local drive, as well as in your account online. If you install Dropbox on other computers, the files in your account will sync down to the Dropbox folder on those computers as well. Make a change to a file within the Dropbox folder on any computer, and it syncs to all of your other computers.

Any advise would be appreciated but please don't advise using smart sync which isn't available on my 2 terabyte plan ...

Smart Sync should be available to you as it's available on any paid plan. Smart Sync is used to mark files and folders as Online-only so they appear on your computer without taking up space. When you try to use such a file, it's downloaded back to your computer for you.

Another option is Selective Sync, which is used to remove the local copy of a folder from your computer. Go into Selective Sync settings and uncheck a folder, and it's removed from your local drive but will remain in your account online. Just make sure your files are fully synced and Dropbox shows "Up-to-date" before you uncheck any folders.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@bunny007 wrote:

If I download folders and files from my main computer A to drop box  it not only downloads them to drop box but it also writes the files to my c drives on computers B and C ...

That's the main purpose of Dropbox; to sync files from one computer to your account online, and to any other computer where you've installed the Dropbox application. The Dropbox folder on all of your computers is just a regular folder like any other. It exists on your local drive, taking up space. Anything you place in the folder exists on your local drive, as well as in your account online. If you install Dropbox on other computers, the files in your account will sync down to the Dropbox folder on those computers as well. Make a change to a file within the Dropbox folder on any computer, and it syncs to all of your other computers.

Any advise would be appreciated but please don't advise using smart sync which isn't available on my 2 terabyte plan ...

Smart Sync should be available to you as it's available on any paid plan. Smart Sync is used to mark files and folders as Online-only so they appear on your computer without taking up space. When you try to use such a file, it's downloaded back to your computer for you.

Another option is Selective Sync, which is used to remove the local copy of a folder from your computer. Go into Selective Sync settings and uncheck a folder, and it's removed from your local drive but will remain in your account online. Just make sure your files are fully synced and Dropbox shows "Up-to-date" before you uncheck any folders.

bunny007
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you very much for your guidance. I am afraid I had a senile moment when referring to smart sync. I thought I had read somewhere that it was only available on the family and business plans. It was also greyed out in drop box app so I thought it wasn't available. I have now uninstalled drop box app and reinstalled and smart sync is available seems to work.  I am away at the moment with very slow internet so I will play more on my return. 

Thank you once again for your help

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bunny007 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?