cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does this shared folder take up 20GB of space, but it only has 1.62GB of actual data?

Why does this shared folder take up 20GB of space, but it only has 1.62GB of actual data?

N_Kennedy
New member | Level 2

I have a basic drop box accout that I rarely use that has maybe 100MB worth of files on it. Had someone share a folder with me so that we could both edit documents for a project we were working on. After sharing the folder with me I get prompted to upgrade to 3TB to access the files because my 6GB account doesn't have enough space. Upon upgrade the account to the 3TB I download the entire folder just to see what was in it because I felt that 20GB was rather larger for Word and Excel files. Imagine my surprise to find that there was no where near that much data being needed. I should not have need to upgrade my account at all. I honestly feel like dropbox is ripping people off from this experience. So can some explain to me what exactly is happening here? Is it a case where the person sharing a folder can reserve a certain amount of space?

1 Reply 1

Re: Why does this shared folder take up 20GB of space, but it only has 1.62GB of actual data?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @N_Kennedy, let's see what we can find here. 

Could you first have a look at your Plan tab to check what is taking up space?

Also, could you follow these steps to calculate the size of the shared folder from the web?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?