cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Dropbox Browser so slow?

Why is Dropbox Browser so slow?

LP_DB
Helpful | Level 5

I use the browser version of Dropbox exclusively, and am baffled as to why the speeds are so painfully slow. 

We have gigabit internet at our studio, and while very other browser-based activity, download or upload can utilise the full bandwidth (commonly seeing 80MBp/s down and upload - on wetransfer for example). Dropbox, however, will typically never go beyond 6MBp/s either way. And opening new browser windows for each file upload is tedious. 

We're paying for a business service here, and I dont see why the featurset of the browser version should be so neutered. 

If there's some sort of setting that's been overlooked I'd love to know.

Thanks

A

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, which browser are you using? 

Have you tried using a different browser to see if this helps? 

Other things we recommend to test is to use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely. 

Lastly, there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LP_DB
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

This is an issue that persists accross various browsers, ISPs and operating systems. 

I generally run Safari, but have tried on chrome and firefox, on a widows workstation, and on various other macs in the studio and in other locations with different ISPs. 

All of them are locked to a pretty constant 6MBps up or download speed in the browser version of dropbox. 

This isnt a connection issue either, as a couple of the machines are connected to the router via cat 6 ethernet and regularly achieve 80MBps up and download speeds on other sites and services. 

I doubt that the ISPs would be restricting only the dropbox domains- espeecially as Hyperoptic (one of my ISPs) advertise as a business service.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
It’s worth asking them if there’s any restriction, or what speeds they on their end, since there are instances when Dropbox domains are specifically limited for these reasons.

We have dealt with cases where Dropbox domains were either completely blocked intentionally, accidentally, or purposely had their speed reduced, and it was ISP-based.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LP_DB
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay.

Just an update on this. I have contacted Hyperoptic and they have confirmed that they in no way restrict traffic to Dropbox domains whatsoever. 

I would very much like to get to the bottom of this, as mentioned in the previous post, I'm paying for a business service that is performing well under expectations.

Still currently seeing Upload and Download speeds cap out at 13MBps on a 100MBps connection

droptool
Explorer | Level 4

I am stuck at same 5MBps upload speed on browser? Any update?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining the discussion here @droptool!

Have you had the chance to try the steps mentioned previously by Jay here?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sae_
New member | Level 2

Even asking the browser to move files from one folder to another within dropbox (never downloading or uploading) takes forever.  This isn't a bandwidth problem it is something else.  IF I ever do get everything downloaded, I will be moving away from Dropbox because of performance, but hope to get some fixes here.  (doubt it)

RobinM
Helpful | Level 5

Same issue here.  I create a file, but it never shows up. It's so incredibly frustrating. I'm googling now, a better alternative to dropbox. It's to expensive to cost me the time it does.

puananiila99
New member | Level 2

Here are some common reasons: The bandwidth of Dropbox is limited. To avoid affecting the network connection, Dropbox limits its speed by default when uploading files: compared to the original speed, the upload speed here is at around 75%. Problems in the network connection.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sae_ New member | Level 2
    puananiila99 New member | Level 2
    RobinM Helpful | Level 5
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?