cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why is Dropbox Paper page so different in view mode than in edit mode?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have an issue: when creating and editing the Dropbox Paper page, I see a nice uninterrupted flow of text, images and PDF previews (which I can even flip through). This is exactly what I need, but — while sharing (with view only privileges) unlogged users see something very different: blocks of text diviede into pages, no PDF previews (only links to the file), there are even some images missing (although while I edit the paper I can see them!).

dropbox.jpg

left: page seen while editing, one long flow of text with embedded flippable PDFs... I love how it looks

right:  the same page seen as user not logged into Dropbox - no PDF previews, separation into pages... not nice

I wanted to use the Dropbox Paper as a tool to communicate with my students the homesworks (and manuals, help tips etc.) they need to do while resticted to their homes while current (COVID-19) restictions are in place. I hoped the Paper works as a WYSIWYG editor, but alas - the output is very different, not neat, confusing. 

Am I doing something wrong, or is it a "feature"?

Thank you in advance for answer, tips or help.

The mentioned page is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sgom07xigwjku8ng7jeo9/PGR_AutoCAD-Matou-Mihali-ek.paper?dl=0&rlke...

Here is another page with missing images:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/py5uvishg6wyoaumx3hxy/1.C-PGR-Matou-Mihali-ek.paper?dl=0&rlkey=nt2cm8...

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Why is Dropbox Paper page so different in view mode than in edit mode?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @MatousM, that's strange indeed!

I believe this might have something to do with the way that you've shared the file, as the right screenshot looks like how a normal file would preview (eg. PDF or Word Document).

From what I can see, the file is showing as xxx.paper, which means that you're account is part of the new Paper 2020 release where your Paper files live alongside your normal documents.

When you shared this file, did you click the "Share" option beside the file and copy a shared link from there? Or did you open the Paper doc and click the "Share" option from the top of the page there?

Please let me know the exact steps so I can try and recreate this on my side too.

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you @Daphne for your reply.

I agree that the shared file looks more like a print preview than what is expected. Thank you for confirming that it is definitely not the correct way for the page to be displayed.

I'm accessing files through dropbox.com where I find my .paper files. Then one click to open, I see layout as was shared on the left picture.

Sharing was done via the blue Share button, on the bottom of pop-up dialog next to Can view I clicked on Copy link - and that is the link I shared (and btw every time I click on this Copy link it gets me a new link, which I find really not necessary but perhaps usual behavior).

Than every time i check the file, if it is in the same browser it shows me the edit page - as it recognizes that I'm logged in.

If I check it in different browser (tried a few different) or different computer and not while logged in it shows me the weird, "print preview" version.

Thank you for looking into it!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne!

I tried to create a new Paper document on my gf's account and I have the same problem there: I can create document easily, even upload files... then I copy the share link for view only:

err1.jpg

When viewing the page as a guest (not logged in), it is weird again:

- page is shown as a paper format (sheet approx. of A4 size),

- right side panel with button for login to edit (I used the view only link!),

- there are even pictures missing, unavailable:

err2.jpg

Any idea where the problem may be?

Link to the new paper page:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/o5v4c1m9eujbvu6axw8fo/_Testovac-polo-ka.paper?dl=0&rlkey=onxpxy9ydmjg...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for all those details @MatousM!

It's most likely that this is due to your account using the new 2020 release of Paper, where your Paper docs appear alongside your other files and the way you share the file.

Just to check this, can you share the Paper doc by clicking "Share" and entering a recipients email address and allowing them view access?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks @Daphne for reply.

I tried the suggested way.

I sent the email, then clicked the View File in email - and it shows a page where I need to log in to view the file. You know, the usual "Matouš Mihaliček wants to share the file PGR_AutoCAD [Matouš Mihaliček].paper with you. Join Dropbox to view this file". 

So this doesn't work for me.

I need the Paper to be visible for students/people without Dropbox account. 

(and I confirmed before that for logged user it shows well)

Is there any other way?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Okay, I see @MatousM.

I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here so that we can check on this in more detail.

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my message and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne , I did that, we have another communication channel established

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?