cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File deletions

Highlighted

Why is a file being deleted, but can still be edited?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dropbox keeps telling me that one of my files has been permanently deleted and yet it is still there, saving my changes and allowing me to download it. There is nothing in my deleted files and no-one else has access to it. Why does it keep doing this? It gives me a heart attack every time as it is a really important file.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Charliedrop wrote:

... saving my changes and allowing me to download it. ...

Hi @Charliedrop,

You didn't point out explicitly, but I'm guessing you're talking about download using shared link. Am I right? If you haven't deleted your file, but renamed/moved it, existing link will still point to the existing file even with changed name position! A shared link, even containing file name (actual name at creation time), points to file content, not to the name. That's why the link doesn't get invalidated when pointed file just gets renamed! Be careful. Take a look here and erase any unwanted link.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Charliedrop, thanks for posting today!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Could you attach a screenshot showing what you're describing? Was the file in a shared folder and being moved to a private folder, or vice versa?

Does this occur when saving or editing files in the Dropbox folder on your machine?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your help. Could I ask how you got a link to one of my documents? I have never shared this doc with anyone.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for getting back to me. I have never shared this file with anyone. The message appears when I am editing or writing in the doc. It occurs randomly so I don't know when it will come up again to get a screenshot.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Are you editing the file on your computer, on the Dropbox site, or via the mobile app generally?

The previous link you saw is to one on our site that allows you to view any shared links you've created on your account, so you can manage them easier.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?