cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my iTunes library being synced?

Why is my iTunes library being synced?

Cath3
Explorer | Level 3

I have been using Dropbox Basic for many years and had just removed my old Mac from the device list and connected it to a new MacOS Catalina.

For some reason, whenever I made changes to my Music (iTunes) library, Dropbox would start syncing the changes.

It had never happened before with the old Mac.  Please help me disconnect Dropbox from Music Library.  Much appreciated.

Cath3_0-1615612494699.png

Cath3_1-1615612561916.jpg

7 Replies 7

Re: Why is my iTunes library being synced?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Cath3, thanks for posting on the Community!

Is it possible that you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application?

Could you check if it is and disable it using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Cath3
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, thanks for your response.

Dropbox computer backup was never set up in either of my Macs.

I had actually read the article you referred to, what's shown on my Dropbox desktop app preferences is: Set up.

As of now I had unlinked both Macs under Settings upon signing in Dropbox.com while leaving iPhone and iPad linked.  I also removed the Dropbox folder and all its contents from both computers.

Problem started last week.  I installed Dropbox desktop app to new Mac, and later was copying iTunes to new Mac, all of a sudden a Dropbox notification coming from Dropbox app on menu bar saying that my dropbox was full!!  I never meant to back up my music to Dropbox and reckoned I must have done something wrong with the Dropbox installation configuration.  Because the music file was located at the same drive as Dropbox link on my computer.

Those iTunes ~.itdb files would show up in my Dropbox folder whenever I made a change to the music folder under iTunes/Music preferences.  Under Desktop Dropbox app preferences, the Dropbox folder location was: Applications in old Mac and Username Folder in new Mac.

Would appreciate some insights, as I found, personally, the Dropbox install and configure step-by-step process is a little unclear, e.g. at one stage, there is the choice of 2 sets of options.

Many thanks, Catherine

Jay
Dropboxer
It sounds like you did activate the computer backup on the new Mac, since there is an option to move the Music folder into Dropbox, which would have included your iTunes library, hence why it filled up.

If it has been deactivated now, you can try moving those files back to the default location, or try moving them out using the iTunes program itself.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Cath3
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

I did not complete the music library transfer.  When I saw my Dropbox filling up last week showing a new folder named "myname-imac.local", I started deleting files in the folder through Dropbox.com sign-in.

As mentioned in last message, the dropbox location is different with the old and new mac, does that contribute to the reason why those ~.itldb files appearing in Dropbox folder.

Which default location or the correct path should I use when I next install the app, in order to avoid those files from showing up again. 

What is the most updated version of desktop Dropbox app for Mac Catalina?  A video/article on step-by-step install/config instructions would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Catherine

Jay
Dropboxer
The location of the Dropbox folder shouldn't make a difference, unless your iTunes app is choosing the Dropbox folder to store those files. If so, then you'd need to check iTunes and see if it's possible to change that within their app.

You can find instructions on installing the Dropbox app on this page, and the most up-to-date version of the app should be here. Installing with the default settings, and the computer backup disabled, would allow it to be installed in the home directory.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Cath3
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Jay, thanks for your links.

After much experimenting, some new development.

What I did:

Unlinked all desktop Macs from devices on my online account.

Removed DB desktop app from both old and new Mac as well as  Dropbox folder from sidebar.

(System Preferences--Security & Privacy--Accessibility- to remove Dropbox under Allow the apps below to control your computer.)

What happened now:

When I performed the functions listed below with Music app, a Dropbox Folder would be generated automatically with various files popping up and the time under the Date Modified column in Finders would update itself accordingly.  This process happens even after I deleted the Dropbox Folder.  (see Screenshot)

Open Music app - Extras.itdb, Genius.itdb, Preferences.plist

Quit Music app - Application.musicdb

Change Preferences Media Music folder location - Library.musicdb, Library Preferences.musicdb

Any idea how I could stop Dropbox Folder from auto activate whenever I access Music app?

Right now, my Music library is empty, but I am worried that when I moved my old iTunes library to new Mac, Dropbox would start to sync and fill up my online account.  I really need to fix this before reinstalling Dropbox Desktop app again.

Many thanks.

Finder_Music.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Since it looks like the Music folder isn't in the Dropbox folder, this would be an iTunes setting that is storing the preferences and database in there for some reason. 

As to why this is, I couldn't say, since this is related to their app. I'd recommend getting in contact with Apple support for further assistance on this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?