cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Family room not visible to other members?

Why is the Family room not visible to other members?

Stephen S.32
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am using family room to share folders/files about COVID-19.  I have an extensive library of COVID-19 information.  What is confusing to me is why my Family room members do NOT have a Family Room folder on their hard drive as I do.  In other words, I can add folders  + files to the Family Room via my hard drive easily, but how are the members supposed to be able to do that?  Looking at one members hard drive, I do not see "Family Room" folder.  Only when I access the Dropbox internet site do I see on her computer that folder. That makes no sense. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen S.32
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Walter, 

Yes they all have their Dropbox app installed with icon showing in menu bar.  I did solve the problem and I wonder if this is something that all of those new to family plan should be aware of:

1. Quit Dropbox on your desktop computer. 

2. Restart Dropbox. 

⇢ then the Family Room folder appears.  

Using Dropbox over many years (since 2007), I realized that in working with others, many only access Dropbox via the Dropbox website.  That astounds me.  For me the value of Dropbox, while working in my office, is to use Finder or a Finder app that shows my Dropbox parent folder (which I create an alias to and put in the sidebar of Finder), and also to open a Finder window that shows my hard drive so I can readily move from Hard Drive (HD) to Dropbox (DB).   This is why I identified the Family Room folder on my computer but until inspecting a family room members computer realized that their was a problem until I quit and restarted Dropbox app.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Stephen S.32; sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let us know if those members in your family account have the desktop app installed and running on their computers?

If so, is the app showing 'up to date' in their menu bar/system tray or is it still syncing?

Let us know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Stephen S.32
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Walter, 

Yes they all have their Dropbox app installed with icon showing in menu bar.  I did solve the problem and I wonder if this is something that all of those new to family plan should be aware of:

1. Quit Dropbox on your desktop computer. 

2. Restart Dropbox. 

⇢ then the Family Room folder appears.  

Using Dropbox over many years (since 2007), I realized that in working with others, many only access Dropbox via the Dropbox website.  That astounds me.  For me the value of Dropbox, while working in my office, is to use Finder or a Finder app that shows my Dropbox parent folder (which I create an alias to and put in the sidebar of Finder), and also to open a Finder window that shows my hard drive so I can readily move from Hard Drive (HD) to Dropbox (DB).   This is why I identified the Family Room folder on my computer but until inspecting a family room members computer realized that their was a problem until I quit and restarted Dropbox app.  

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the keeping us in the loop, Stephen. I'm glad you managed to resolve this by quitting and restarting the app in the end.

See you around the Community and take care!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Stephen S.32 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?