cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why is there an extra prompt when viewing shared links on the site?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

When I first started using Dropbox a few years back, I would share dropbox folders to people's email address because I did not yet know about the 'create a link' feature. My clients complained and there were many conversationsa around them not wanting to add the photos to their dropbox due to space issues, or not being very computer literate and not yet having a dropbox account, etc.  Many of my clients are not very computer literate.  So, when I discovered that I could just create and send a link to them, I was ecstatic!  It was very convenient and my clients (and me!) were very happy that they could just click on a link and go to view the photos, with no steps in between.   Now, I feel as if you moved your technology & process backwards, making it more difficult for them to see the photos, as they have to read a whole nother screen and figure out what to do with that screen, and/or i have to have that conversation with all of them that they will need to first click on "No, thanks" and then can go view their files.  I wasted about 10 minutes of my time working with a client this morning trying to figure out what was going on, as we have been doing this dropbox process for many years and we didn't understand why it was different today, and she told me there wasn't even an option on that page that said "No, thanks" and she was instead forced to sign in.  Is there any way you can go back to the way things were?  This new system SUCKS! And you may lose me as a long time customer, and I suspect you may lose others, too, by not allowing people with the link to just go straight into the dropbox folder. 

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Why is there an extra prompt when viewing shared links on the site?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @peacelorilove, thanks for messaging the Community!

We appreciate any feedback about how the Dropbox site works and when presenting shared links.

If there is a login required, then it’s possible that the link can only be accessed when logged in, depending on the sharing permissions on the link.

Regarding the prompt with which they need to click to not login, if you wish, you can suggest to revert this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future! 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Why is there an extra prompt when viewing shared links on the site?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your response, Jay.  

Regarding your suggestion about the permissions having changed, I assure you they have not.  I have been sharing large groups of photos to this particular client the same way for many years now.  Something changed this week and it was frustrating to my client that she could not see the photos without signing in.  

And I thought I WAS able to get word to the development team with what I did just here - at least that's what your tech support person told me when he gave me this link.  So there's another step to this?  Can't you please just forward my comments on to your development team? I have already wasted entirely too much time on this.

Thank you.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?