cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 「.dropbox」 file?

Highlighted

Why there is a ".dropbox" file in my dropbox folder?

Explorer | Level 3

Why there is a 「.dropbox」 file in my dropbox folder?

but I use the dropbox web version, that file does not exist!

When I delete it, it will recreate at next computer booting.

https://i.imgur.com/wC9bplI.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@YHX wrote:

I have NOT enabled hidden entries visibility, so should I set 「.dropbox」to be hidden??

Hi again @YHX,

It's strange... Usually, service files/folders (like discussed) are hidden, so the file should already was hidden. If it's not yet, make it (of course). Also check out the file explorer view menu, in part "Show/hide", the checkbox "Hidden items". I suppose you know what should (not) be there.

Cheers.

PS: The same is valid for directory ".dropbox.cache" on same place.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

HI @YHX,

That file is dedicated for internal Dropbox application use. It is special, the application keeps it out of sync. Usually such files and folders are hidden, but seems you has enabled hidden entries visibility in your file explorer. Don't delete service things, could affect application work! Just ignore it, if you prefer your hidden entries to be no so hidden. 😉
Hope this helps.

Explorer | Level 3

@Здравко wrote:

HI @YHX,

That file is dedicated for internal Dropbox application use. It is special, the application keeps it out of sync. Usually such files and folders are hidden, but seems you has enabled hidden entries visibility in your file explorer. Don't delete service things, could affect application work! Just ignore it, if you prefer your hidden entries to be no so hidden. 😉
Hope this helps.

Hi, @Здравко 

Thanks for your reply.

I have NOT enabled hidden entries visibility, so should I set 「.dropbox」to be hidden??

(I deleted it before, but it will recreated on next time I booting my computer, haha.)

Highlighted

@YHX wrote:

Hi again @YHX,

It's strange... Usually, service files/folders (like discussed) are hidden, so the file should already was hidden. If it's not yet, make it (of course). Also check out the file explorer view menu, in part "Show/hide", the checkbox "Hidden items". I suppose you know what should (not) be there.

Cheers.

PS: The same is valid for directory ".dropbox.cache" on same place.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

OK, I see, I will do it manually, thanks a lot!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?