cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife deleted evidence in divorce on my Dropbox Account

Wife deleted evidence in divorce on my Dropbox Account

giventofly
New member | Level 2

I'm currently going through a divorce and it's just come to light that my ex somehow gained access to my dropbox account and deleted my Camera Uploads folder.

I had a lot of texts from my ex I had screen captured and backed up to my Camera Uploads folder. My ex was refusing to drop my iPhone from her wireless account so I reset it, gave it back to her, and got a new Android phone. I noticed yesterday evening my Camera Uploads folder was gone with all the photos and screen grabs backed up from my iPhone gone. Only a few are there now from my new Android phone after I set it up to sync.

I didn't have 2 factor authentication setup so she somehow figured out my password to the account.

It shows my ex logged into my account yesterday from Safari on Mac OSX.  I don't use Mac OSX.
It also shows her computer (with her specific computer name - Her name and the type I laptop I know she has) was linked to my account 3 times in a short period of time in the events log.   I've never given her access to my account.

It's not showing that the Camera Uploads folder was ever deleted in my Events log and the photos aren't showing up as deleted files in my account settings. I don't understand how this could be possible if they just disappeared? Would this be the case if she did a permanent delete of the files? Is there any way to recover all the photos that were in my Camera Uploads folder? There were a lot of harassing texts in there including videos that proved she was texting me from my daughters phone pretended to be her.  It also had several texts that proved she was blately lying about things trying to scare and intimidate me.  She's been running a smear campaign since she filed for divorce.  She did use my phone number to reset my GMail password and gain access to it.  I do have proof of that.  

Does Dropbox had the log files that show which computer actually deleted the files?  I'd like to be able to get the files back and proof that she was the one that actually deleted the folder.

I submitted a support ticket last night after reading up on file recovery, ect.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wife deleted evidence in divorce on my Dropbox Account

Rich
Super User II

This is a situation that should be handled by Support. I'd also suggest (personal opinion) that you inform your lawyer about the unauthorized access to your account.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

This is a situation that should be handled by Support. I'd also suggest (personal opinion) that you inform your lawyer about the unauthorized access to your account.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

View solution in original post

janey13
Explorer | Level 3

Awful situation. I know this post is pretty old, but I went through a similar situation. Most people have no idea that this is illegal and you could go to prison because of it. I had samples of articles for my website breakupangels.com in which I described the abuses I was going through. They weren't posted yet, big mistake. She logged in to my account and deleted them all. I was furious. I spent hours on that, those were my feelings and my evidence against her. She was also struggling with drugs, therefore she went to prison. I moved to another town since then and I'm never looking back.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

janey13 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?