cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Dropbox change any timestamps but date modified?

Will Dropbox change any timestamps but date modified?

Aladdin
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I found the related post

However, I have a slightly different question/proposition/suggestion for Dropbox R&D. 

Help Center didn't help with this article

When I uploaded files directly to the Dropbox from my PC Windows, and then sync files and folders to laptop and PC, will Dropbox leave at least Date or Creation Date or another Date's attribute unchanged?!

I mean at least one original time attribute should not be changed! Especially when we are talking about photos.

Is it implemented in dropbox?

6 Replies 6

Re: Will Dropbox change any timestamps but date modified?

Fiona
Dropboxer

Hello @Aladdin!

Great question. :white_check_mark:

The metadata of a file is not changed/affected by Dropbox. You can still find the creation date of the file. The modification date is the date when this file was opened or edited in Dropbox. 

I will add a few Community discussion that analyze this even more. 

Let me know if you have more questoions and if you need more help seeing information for your files locally or online. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Aladdin
Helpful | Level 6

well, it will be great to know Dropbox doesn't change file creation timestamp! If so -> that's a great post to let everyone know about this.

Because your main cloud competitor (G) changed all date timestamps for all my files and folders! I'm so angry! And I'm sure that many people (like me) use G and don't know about this threat! My issue occurred when I uploaded files and folders from laptop and PC (both on Windows) to the online G cloud. I just tried to reorganized everything, how could I know?! So now all files and folders with new date timestamps!

I hope Dropbox doesn't behave like this. I wish you attract more customers with Dropbox's intelligent sync behavior with date stamps.

Fiona
Dropboxer

Thank you for your kind and positive feedback. 

I am glad Dropbox is matching your needs! :grin:

I was not aware of this problem with this third party could service. So thanks for sharing. Not because I work here but I have only used the Dropbox cloud in my life to be honest. 

Get back to the Community with any other questions you might have. 

We are here for you. 

Cheers! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Aladdin
Helpful | Level 6

thank you. For those who work in Dropbox - if you need a link to the question-post I made in G forum - just let me know. Their "kindest reply-solution" made me feel like I'm the dummiest user in the world. 

They don't have any solution and I think they don't see a problem in such behavior, which is stupid from their side. 

Thanks God I marked almost all my edited photos with time/date info just in the files' names. But can you imagine if one has many files for any kind of work and with such "magic" all the files become unfiltered and unsorted for date!

Fiona
Dropboxer

Thank you for the suggestion. 

If the post there was relevant to a Dropbox issue you could post it in your comments. If not, it would not be useful for the members of our Community to have the link in this thread.

After all your feedback is very straight forward and I am sure if others are using this app, will know about this problem. 

I wish you to have best of luck with your files and again if you need anything Dropbox related, we'd be happy to see another post from you. 

Thank you. Happy Friday! :beers:

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

CDA
New member | Level 2

Hi Fiona,

I recently uploaded a bunch of video and audio files to my dropbox, and all of the timestamps (both Date Modified and Date Created) were changed to the time they were finished uploading. So the metadata has changed. This has led to a whole bunch of very, very, very frustrating issues as I work on this project with my client. 

What can I do to avoid this in the future? Is there a way to fix this for this set of files? I cannot continue to use dropbox if this issue persists. 

Thanks in advance

Example: The files in this screenshot were all created on Jan 12.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 5.43.57 PM.png

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?