cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will cloning my hard drive to add my Dropbox folder back work?

Will cloning my hard drive to add my Dropbox folder back work?

jdturneriii
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

My current setup is a 250GB SSD C drive with the OS on it, and a 2TB HDD D Drive with all my data and my DB folder. Works well.

I want to replace the HHD where my DB files are (they total about 1.5 TB at the moment), but do NOT want to take the time to allow for a resync from the cloud. (I have a REALLY slow internet out in the country). 

If I clone the drive completely, then swap them so the drive letter is restored, can I make that work? I found this on another post: "This doesn't work. When you boot up your new drive and start dropbox on it won't recognized the existing "dropbox" folder. It will force you to create a new dropbox folder and proceed to download the entire dropbox content from the cloud. pretty annoying"

I am upgrading to an SSD, so when all is said and done, my system will look like it does now just with an SSD.

Thanks,

jt

3 Replies 3

Re: Will cloning my hard drive to add my Dropbox folder back work?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @jdturneriii, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

Since you mention that the clone would be a complete copy of what exists already on your drive, it may just work. 

I just wanted to note that, if you keep the Dropbox folder as it is and you don't want to to re-download all of your files from the website after reinstalling the desktop app, you need to choose the Advanced setup option during the installation process and select the parent folder of your existing Dropbox folder as the location.

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: C:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose C:\Desktop and the desktop app will try and create a new Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps, but let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

pfascia
New member | Level 2

Hi all, I too cloned my ssd on my laptop with another bigger, restarted macbook and Dropbox asks for buying a licence because I have more than three computers.. but that I clone is always the same, same number of computers, not one more, how can I say to the client it is not one more?

Regards

Rich
Super User II

@pfascia wrote:

how can I say to the client it is not one more?

Remove the computer from your Security page and then you should be able to re-add it, provided that you're below the limit of three devices.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    pfascia New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?