cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DELETING

Will deleting files in iCloud delete them automatically from Dropbox?

PamelaBranderMyers
Explorer | Level 3

will deleting in icloud, automatically delete from drop box?

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @PamelaBranderMyers, I hope you're well today!

I'm not sure what this has to do with Dropbox exactly, as iCloud is a completely different service. Can you clarify for me how the two are linked?

Do you perhaps have Dropbox and iCloud both installed and syncing the same files on your computer?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PamelaBranderMyers
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, There is a dropbox choice in my File pro app, and a icloud choice. All my files are in icloud. I don't save anything in local.  If I drop a folder from icloud (a copy), into the dropbox, and then I go to to my dropbox app, the folder shows up there. So, I am wondering if they are connected to each other, and if I delete one, the other one will disapear as well. I am trying to create two separete backups which will still update each other, sort of like my iphone. If I DL APPS, on my ipad, they will show up on my iphone, and update, and if I delete the apps on my ipad, they stay on my phone, and I have to delete them there also.

<sigh> The ups and downs of technology, lol
Pam

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @PamelaBranderMyers!

iCloud and Dropbox are two different services, so the files within each of these apps/accounts are separate from each other.

If you have a copy of a file within Dropbox and one within iCloud, these won't update each other when changed or edited as they are separate copies of the same file.

Perhaps the best method would be to use one service as your primary backup and then periodically, eg. once a week, copy the content over to the other service.

This would be similar to what you mentioned doing when dragging a folder from iCloud over to Dropbox.

Hope that helps clarify the matter, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Need more support?