cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Will moving the file that a shared link points to break the original link?

Will moving the file that a shared link points to break the original link?

LeeDee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Quick question: If you add a single file, say an mp3, then get a link for it, but later move that file into a newly created folder, will that break the original link?
If so, this is why I miss the Public Folder, all those loose files get sort of messy. Is there an alternative I may not know about?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @LeeDee  - how are you today?

Moving or renaming a file will not affect the shared link that you generated. This means that anyone who has access to the shared link will still be able to access the file if you move it to a different location in your Dropbox folder or if you rename the file.

I hope this clarifies matters and please let me know if you have any further questions. 

PS: The Public folder's functionality has been removed since 2017 - you can read below for more information: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/public-folder 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @LeeDee  - how are you today?

Moving or renaming a file will not affect the shared link that you generated. This means that anyone who has access to the shared link will still be able to access the file if you move it to a different location in your Dropbox folder or if you rename the file.

I hope this clarifies matters and please let me know if you have any further questions. 

PS: The Public folder's functionality has been removed since 2017 - you can read below for more information: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/public-folder 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LeeDee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well that's just perfect. Now I can organize all those loose, single files. No Public folder needed. All this time and I didn't even know thinking organizing in folders would break my shared link. Self-face palm.

Thank you very much, Walter!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear this helped @LeeDee - should you ever come up with a Dropbox question, please let me know.

In the meantime, thanks for using Dropbox and have a lovely day/night ahead!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

JoaoH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm wondering whether a Link to either a File or Folder I've shared with a Client changes, if I rename or move this File or Folder anywhere on Dropbox?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @JoaoH, I’ve moved your post here, in order to ping you on our previous discussion above that should answer your question. Please have a look at the pointers posted here at your convenience & let me know if you have any follow-up inquiries. 

Thanks for getting in touch on the Community & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Davis L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I tried this myself, being curious at your question. The last part of  the dropbox link is actually your file name. 

I removed an 's' on my file  AFTER I  shared a dropbox link. Interestingly, although my link has an 's', the URL still worked! Also, the entire URL containing my filename removed that 's' like I renamed it. 

Rfranks
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Currently, I have a shared excel spreadsheet with over 300 hyperlinks, each one taking me to a DB document. If I were to rearrange my documents and move them into folders and subfolders, is there a way to do this without breaking the linked path? 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rfranks, thanks for posting!

I've just moved your post here, as you have a similar question to the OP. When you have the chance, please take a look at the info Walter provided above. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rfranks
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Daphne,

Once of our users either moved/deleted a folder and even though we recovered it, now all of the links are broken. When I try to generate a shared link for an existing document, it now has a completely different pathway to the one that we had saved previously. Im worried that this might happen again if someone tries to move a folder after we update all of our URLs with the new ones.

Need more support?