cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will people be able to download files to their computer, and can I see if downloads are made?

Highlighted

Will people be able to download files to their computer, and can I see if downloads are made?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I am looking into getting a dropbox account for my new business. Will the people I share the account with be able to download dropbox files onto their own computers? Will I be able to tell any of these files are being downloaded?

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Downloading Questions

Dropboxer

Hi @garynuman, thanks for posting on the Community!

What type on account are you going to use to share files? If you're referring to sharing a personal account between multiple people, note that this is against the Dropbox terms of service.

If you're using a shared folder, then you can see if people are a member of the folder. Files will automatically sync to their machines, though you won't be able to determine which files have been downloaded, unless you're on a Dropbox Business Advanced plan, so you can see the activity log.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Will people be able to download files to their computer, and can I see if downloads are made?

Explorer | Level 3
Well I’m looking into which account I should get for the business..

I want to give each employee access to their accounts at home so they can access all files at home to avoid in office time. But I wasn’t sure if I give that access will they be able to save files onto their desktop? If so will it notify me that they’re re-saving a file to their home computer?
Highlighted

Re: Will people be able to download files to their computer, and can I see if downloads are made?

Dropboxer

A Dropbox Business team on the Standard or Advanced plan would help then, since each user has their own account. Files will be able to sync to their machines automatically, though you wouldn't get confirmation if they download files.

Are you referring to copying a file from the Dropbox folder or account online to their machine, away from the Dropbox folder, or some other aspect?

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Yes, saving a Dropbox folder file to their desktop or documents. The team will have access to edit documents.
Highlighted

Dropboxer

If the files sync to their Dropbox folder on their computer, then you cannot see if the user then copies the file to another location on their machine.

If edits are made to files in the Dropbox folder, they will automatically sync to the site when the file is saved.

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?