cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Win10 Documents folder

Highlighted

Win10 Documents folder

Helpful | Level 5

Can I move the Win10 Documents folder into my Dropbox folder (ie so that it's automatically backed up in the cloud and I can access files from my other computers)?  I ask because it is a system folder and I don't know if Windows requires it to be in a special location.   Is there any reason NOT to do this?

Alternatively, can I link it to Dropbox from its current location and then use selective sync so that it's not duplicated in my Dropbox folder?  If so, how do I do that?

thanks, David

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dropboxer
Hey David (@dhtax), 

I’m not sure about moving the Documents folder itself, as this would be a question for a Windows expert. Linking the folder to your Dropbox folder is also not a viable solution. 

You might try looking for a work-around in a Windows user forum. I’m sure you’re not the first person to want to do this, so I would bet that you can find a relatively easy way to get this to work. 

What I have done in the past is to create a new folder inside my Dropbox folder, and then direct all my apps to this one, instead of the Documents folder. It took some time to train” all my programs and applications to use this folder instead, but once they were all set up, it worked great. 

Let me know how this goes, and if you find any cool solutions

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II

dhtax wrote:

Can I move the Win10 Documents folder into my Dropbox folder (ie so that it's automatically backed up in the cloud and I can access files from my other computers)?

Yes, you can. If you right-click on the Documents folder and select Properties, you'll see a Location tab. On that tab is a Move... button that will allow you to specify a new location for the folder. Never move the folder manually. Always use this option to move it or to restore it back to its original location.

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer
Hey David (@dhtax), 

I’m not sure about moving the Documents folder itself, as this would be a question for a Windows expert. Linking the folder to your Dropbox folder is also not a viable solution. 

You might try looking for a work-around in a Windows user forum. I’m sure you’re not the first person to want to do this, so I would bet that you can find a relatively easy way to get this to work. 

What I have done in the past is to create a new folder inside my Dropbox folder, and then direct all my apps to this one, instead of the Documents folder. It took some time to train” all my programs and applications to use this folder instead, but once they were all set up, it worked great. 

Let me know how this goes, and if you find any cool solutions

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, good ideas.  I had already done that with a couple of my apps eg Quicken backups and yes, I'll ask in the Windows forum.  If anyone else has tried this or has other suggestions please pitch in . .....

Highlighted

Super User II

dhtax wrote:

Can I move the Win10 Documents folder into my Dropbox folder (ie so that it's automatically backed up in the cloud and I can access files from my other computers)?

Yes, you can. If you right-click on the Documents folder and select Properties, you'll see a Location tab. On that tab is a Move... button that will allow you to specify a new location for the folder. Never move the folder manually. Always use this option to move it or to restore it back to its original location.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Great, thanks, exactly what I needed.

david

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?